HertSavers Senior County League round-up: Hatfield Social game called off as a mark of respect


Football - Credit: Archant

HSCL Division One leaders Hatfield Social had their match with Lemsford called off on Saturday as a mark of respect to their player Jamie McVeigh who sadly died in the week.

A league spokesman said: “The tragic death of Hatfield Social’s Jamie McVeigh put football into perspective, and the fixture between top two, Lemsford and Hatfield Social, was postponed as mark of respect, and the league’s condolences and thoughts go out to the youngster’s family and friends.”

Codicote Sports made it back-to-back wins with a 2-1 triumph over Welwyn Garden City Reserves, Scott Pateman and Dave Kiddie netting the goals that secured all three points for the Cod, Jonathan Walsh continuing his rich goalscoring form for City with a fifth goal in five games.

Tansley slipped to a 1-0 defeat at an Old Parmiterians side, who have now won five consecutive games, James Booth getting the decisive goal in the second period, and the visitors cannot afford many more slip-ups if they are to rejoin the race for promotion.

Buntingford Town and AFC Hatfield battled out a rare goalless draw, only the second in this Division so far this season, to leave both teams with a point and unchanged in mid-table.

You may also want to watch:

Harvesters 2012 claimed their fourth league win of the campaign with a 4-2 triumph over Panshanger, moving them up a place, the visitors scoring through Mason Bush and George Robinson and who lead 2-1 at the break.

Elsewhere, Letchworth Garden City Eagles moved into the Aubrey Cup semi-finals thanks to a 3-1 win at Bovingdon, Sam Gittings, Carl Williams and Ricardo Small all netting for a resurgent Eagles, who have now won five games on the bounce.

Most Read

In the Premier Division, Sarratt made it three wins from four games with a 2-0 home victory over Mill End Sports, Ian McIntosh and James Espree getting the goals in either half to move them into third spot.

Bedmond Sports and Social were the other team at the top of the table in action, and they clinically despatch Wormley Rovers 4-1 away from home to underline their title credentials, Aaron Lewis got two of his side’s goals with Alex McCarthy and Lee Taylor adding the rest, Luke Robinson adding Rovers’ consolation.

Sandridge Rovers put further distance between themselves and the drop zone with a 1-0 win at Knebworth, a result that does the Ks own survival chances no good at all as they sit four points from safety, and having played more games than all bit one of their rivals.

Two of the other sides desperate for points played out a goalless draw, neither Chipperfield Corinthians nor Hinton troubling the scorer, the visitors staying at the bottom of the table with Chippo only a point clear but having played more games than Bovingdon.

Kimpton Rovers recovered from a 2-0 half-time deficit to fellow-hopefuls Evergreen, who lead through Asher Alleyne and Karl Davidson, but Rovers showed a steely determination to claim a point through goals from Ashley Wadhams and Damien Burns.

There was also stalemate at Hertford Heath where Connor Casey found the net to take a point for his team after Bushey Rangers’ Alex Willerton had given the visitors a first half lead.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter