Hertfordshire Mavericks skipper Guscoth left “absolutely gutted” by Thunder match abandonment

PUBLISHED: 18:09 04 April 2016 | UPDATED: 18:24 04 April 2016

Layla Guscoth

Layla Guscoth


Layla Guscoth was left “absolutely gutted” after Hertfordshire Mavericks’ Superleague clash with Manchester Thunder on Saturday was abandoned due to a leaking roof leaving the playing surface unsafe.

Officials had voiced concerns prior to the top-of-the table encounter about the wet Thunderdome court but proceeded to start the clash between the league leaders and second-placed Mavericks.

However, with the score at 14-9 after the opening quarter, the umpires held further discussions during the interval and decided to halt the action due to ‘interference and safety’.

The match will be re-scheduled for a later date which is yet to be decided.

Following the game, Mavericks skipper Guscoth told Sky Sports: “When we arrived there was a spot on the roof, which was leaking throughout the warm-up. The officials were discussing it and the decision was made by both teams for the game to go-ahead.

“After the first quarter, the officials weren’t happy with the state of the roof and deemed it to be an interference to the game and there was an official decision that the game was to be called off.

“Someone was coming on to wipe the court at various intervals and the umpires weren’t happy with that and how it effected the game.

“We’re absolutely gutted. We were so hyped for this game and train for games like this against the top couple of teams in the league. To come all this way and not be able to play is devastating for us.

“There are a lot of disappointed people on our bus for sure.”

A win for the Hatfield-based side would have put them top of the league with just three rounds remaining,

Thunder coach Dan Ryan was also disappointed with the game’s outcome but respected the decision.

Ryan told Sky Sports: ““Players’ safety is the most important thing,” Ryan told Sky Sports. “It’s the umpires’ call and they made that decision.

“From our knowledge, the Mavericks were happy to keep playing, our girls were happy to keep playing. But it was the umpires who made the call and they have the authority to do that, so we have to stand by what they call in the end and the decision stands.

“Whether it was the correct call or not, I’m not too sure, the players were happy to keep playing. But if umpires see reason to be concerned for players’ safety, then they have the authority to do that and we respect the decision that they made.

“We were disappointed not to finish the game. We started well and were playing well in the first quarter, so we were quite keen to push on and see what we could do with the game.”

The two sides remain locked on 27 points with Sam Bird’s side due to face Yorkshire Jets at Hertfordshire Sports Village tonight (Monday).

Jets are yet to pick up a single point, losing all 11 of their matches. Mavericks won the reverse meeting 51-38 back in February.

A win would put the hosts top of the table with Thunder not due to play until Saturday.

The match will be broadcast live on Sky Sports from 7.30pm.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times