Hatfield Town keeper Shearer hopes to win contract with Swindon Town
HATFIELD Town reserve keeper John Shearer is in the mix to win a professional playing contract with Swindon Town.
The 24-year-old, from Puttocks Drive in Welham Green has been selected to take part in a first-round trial to play for the League One side.
The trial is the opening stage of the Win A Pro Contract competition, which is being run by Samsung – Swindon Town’s new sponsor.
The big stopper will be put through his paces this Sunday (September 19), when he plays in front of club scouts and coaches in west London.
Shearer, said: “I am looking forward to the trials. I am going to give 100 per cent and show I have what it takes.
You may also want to watch:
“I am extremely dedicated to my football and it would mean everything to me if I won.
“I’m really grateful to everyone at Samsung and the club for giving me a chance to impress.”
- 1 'Confusion of legal status' sees public path fenced off
- 2 Woman injured after attack by out of control dog
- 3 Drug dealer sentenced to more than five years in prison
- 4 Local council elections: Don't know who to vote for? See what the candidates in your area have to say
- 5 Have you seen this wanted man?
- 6 'Much harder this time around' - Father of three fighting cancer for second time in two years
- 7 'We must act now' - villagers in renewed fight to save pub
- 8 Who are our Welwyn Hatfield candidates for Local Elections 2021?
- 9 Man found with head injuries following assault
- 10 Fundraiser bakes 100 cookies to support NHS and carers as part of Captain Tom challenge
The nationwide competition attracted more than 2,500 entries on www.samsungfootball.co.uk.
Players will take part in a series of national and regional trials, before a winner is chosen by Swindon boss Danny Wilson in December.
The winner will sign a professional playing contract with the club, and join the first team squad in January.
To track the progress of Shearer and the other footy hopefuls, please log onto www.samsungfootball.co.uk.