Hatfield Town keeper Shearer hopes to win contract with Swindon Town
HATFIELD Town reserve keeper John Shearer is in the mix to win a professional playing contract with Swindon Town.
The 24-year-old, from Puttocks Drive in Welham Green has been selected to take part in a first-round trial to play for the League One side.
The trial is the opening stage of the Win A Pro Contract competition, which is being run by Samsung – Swindon Town’s new sponsor.
The big stopper will be put through his paces this Sunday (September 19), when he plays in front of club scouts and coaches in west London.
Shearer, said: “I am looking forward to the trials. I am going to give 100 per cent and show I have what it takes.
You may also want to watch:
“I am extremely dedicated to my football and it would mean everything to me if I won.
“I’m really grateful to everyone at Samsung and the club for giving me a chance to impress.”
- 1 Man charged with murder of his own mother
- 2 Stunning photos capture the moment Flying Scotsman crosses viaduct
- 3 ‘Too tall and dominant’ – application to demolish old car dealership to build 111 flats rejected
- 4 Dad avoids jail after downloading indecent images of children
- 5 The latest court results for Welwyn Hatfield and Potters Bar
- 6 Arrest made after dog stolen in suspected knifepoint robbery
- 7 F9: Filming locations of Vin Diesel's new Fast & Furious 9 movie
- 8 Home care provider recognised among best in east of England
- 9 100 homes approved at appeal for Green Belt land
- 10 Welwyn Garden City Heritage Trust and the picnic of the Polish Saturday School
The nationwide competition attracted more than 2,500 entries on www.samsungfootball.co.uk.
Players will take part in a series of national and regional trials, before a winner is chosen by Swindon boss Danny Wilson in December.
The winner will sign a professional playing contract with the club, and join the first team squad in January.
To track the progress of Shearer and the other footy hopefuls, please log onto www.samsungfootball.co.uk.