Great achievement for Welwyn Warriors as lacrosse league season starts
- Credit: Archant
A five-year hiatus from league lacrosse may have ended in defeat but simply playing the match was a huge step forward for Welwyn Warriors’ women.
The club, who train and play across Welwyn Hatfield, were at Bishop's Hatfield School for the South of England League clash with south London-based Spencer, a match which ended in an 11-2 defeat.
Skipper Sam Wisbey was still delighted though.
She said: "It's obviously disappointing to lose but it's a great achievement to see the side back in a league and playing competitive lacrosse.
"The team battled hard throughout the whole game and will improve as the season goes on and we play more games together."
You may also want to watch:
Player of the match for Welwyn was Issy Clegg who scored one goal with a great individual effort.
One day earlier the men opened their East of England Division One season with a 10-5 reverse to Hitchin at Hertfordshire Sports Village.
- 1 More than 20 arrested following major Welwyn Hatfield county lines drugs operation
- 2 Man sentenced to three years in prison for breaking girlfriend's jaw
- 3 Closing the New QEII at night permanently still to be considered
- 4 Bank becomes latest to be lost from town centre
- 5 'Horrific' abuser who 'showed no remorse' sentenced
- 6 Mum-of-four loses six stone in just over a year after being unable to play with her youngest child
- 7 Apply for planning permission or move skips and machinery, company told
- 8 COVID-19 deaths across Hertfordshire hit new milestone
- 9 Former Spitfire and Hurricane engineer celebrates 100th birthday
- 10 Coroner rules Joy Morgan death 'unlawful killing' but finds no cause at inquest
More information on the club is at www.welwynlax.com