Welwyn Garden City’s FA Trophy run ends early after classic game of two halves at Chipstead

PUBLISHED: 10:45 16 October 2018 | UPDATED: 10:45 16 October 2018

Jon Clements put Welwyn Garden City ahead in the FA Trophy. Picture: MARK LONG

Jon Clements put Welwyn Garden City ahead in the FA Trophy. Picture: MARK LONG


A classic game of two halves sent Welwyn Garden City tumbling out of the FA Trophy away to Chipstead.

The 2-1 loss to the Bostik League South Central side had seen Adam Fisher’s men dominate the first half but only have Jon Clements’ penalty to show for their efforts.

And two strikes from Izzy Bademosi ensured they were to rue their earlier missed chances.

The Citizens’ weren’t wholly to blame for their profligacy in front of goal during the opening 45 minutes as they encounter an inspired home goalkeeper.

Oliver Pain pulled off a number of outstanding saves to ensure the Surrey-based side were still in touch at the break.

The first came very early on from Josh Bronti who had been set up by Adam Hunt and the WGC man was again denied by the stopper following a Nick Elliott pass.

Ash Kersey was the next to be denied by Pain after latching on to a Tony Williams lay-off but City finally found a way through after 37 minutes.

Jon Sexton played Elliott through and after he beat a couple of challenges, a trip sent him stumbling to the floor.

Clements made no mistake from the spot.

Pain was needed again with four minutes remaining as he tipped another Kersey effort round the post in great style.

And inspired by their goalkeeper, Chipstead were level just five minutes after the restart.

Left-back Mark Warren chipped the ball to winger Sam Bell who drove it across goal for Bademosi to fire home.

WGC would have retaken the lead six minutes later but for another super save from Pain who stopped Bronti for a third time.

That was as good as it got for the visitors and Chipstead booked their passage to the first qualifying round with an almost identical goal to their first.

This time playmaker Sam Clayton found Bell and his cross found Bademosi in front of the defence once again.

City’s day was made even worse by the news that Kaan Fehmi had broke his left forearm after falling heavily from an aerial challenge.

One plus point though was the cameo performance of Boreham Wood loan signing Ionut Radu who shone in the last 25 minutes.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times