Southern League: Welwyn Garden City in another late, late show as they complete incredible comeback against Yaxley

PUBLISHED: 10:00 11 September 2018

Danny Payne played a captain's role with two goals in Welwyn Garden City's late comeback against Yaxley. Picture: DANNY LOO

Danny Payne played a captain's role with two goals in Welwyn Garden City's late comeback against Yaxley. Picture: DANNY LOO

©2018 Danny Loo Photography - all rights reserved

Welwyn Garden City kept it late again to steal a 3-2 victory from the jaws of defeat against Yaxley.

They were trailing 2-1 going into the final few minutes of this rearranged Southern League Division One Central fixture when the referee awarded them a penalty.

Nick Elliott, easily WGC’s man of the match on a day when there weren’t many contenders, powerfully burst past two challenges and was blocked off as he entered the penalty box.

New signing Kaan Fehmi, recruited from Hayes & Yeading United, did the honours sending Yaxley keeper Olly Sutton the wrong way.

That was in the first minute of stoppage time and two minutes later City had completed the comeback.

Jay Lovell collected a clearance wide on the right and created space for the overlapping Adam Hunt.

He then delivered a fine cross that saw marauding skipper Danny Payne send a looping header over a stranded Sutton to win the game and propel the Citizens to third place in the table.

It was Payne’s second of the match and his second header. The midfield general had popped up in the final minute of the first-half to get on the end of another Hunt cross.

That brought City level after Yaxley had taken a third-minute lead through skipper Ross Watson.

And for the rest of the first half Welwyn struggled for a response.

A low cross-shot from Ben Spaul that Sutton safely held onto was their best chance but they did start the second period brighter.

Spaul’s break down the right saw his cross just elude Elliott at full stretch and then Josh Bronti set up another chance for him, but this time his final shot was blocked.

But Yaxley rocked them back just beyond the hour mark as they went back in front, the dangerous Matt Sparrow getting around the home defence to find Tom Waumsley, who beat Green with a powerful close-in header.

Another new WGC signing, Sam Oyeniran, thought he had equalised shortly after coming on as a sub but the former Barton Rovers man was denied a debut goal as the referee whistled that the ball had gone out.

Moments later, Jay Lovell kept WGC in the game with an outstanding clearance off the line.

Had it gone in there would have been no chance of the dramatic comeback that followed.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times