Welwyn Garden City shown no resistance by Arlesey Town Reserves as Citizens win easily

PUBLISHED: 17:02 08 December 2014 | UPDATED: 17:02 08 December 2014

Luke Sharples in action for Arlesey

Luke Sharples in action for Arlesey


The Citizens marched on in fairly subdued fashion as they overcame relegation candidates Arlesey Town Reserves at the Armadillo Stadium on Saturday.

Adam Fisher’s men looked in rampant mood as they tore through their lowly opponents from the start.

Welwyn Garden City duly got their reward as Jason Caswell ended his six-game goal drought in the 15th minute and six minutes before the break, Marc Arnott doubled the advantage to leave the visitors in a strong position.

Untroubled in the first half, WGC majorly took their foot off the gas in the second half, making for lacklustre viewing but their efficiency saw them cruise to the line.

The away side had battered Town Reserves 9-1 at home and 6-1 away within the space of six weeks at the back end of last season so thoughts of a WGC slip-up would have been few and far between going into this league clash.

Sure enough, the hosts were under the cosh from the in-form opponents from the beginning.

Scorer Arnott believed he had a case for a penalty after five minutes after being chopped down in the box but the referee waved play on.

WGC were not to be denied for much longer though as Caswell, who incredibly notched his 50th goal of the campaign in the corresponding fixture last season, stroked a low show beyond Josh Mason to open the scoring.

With the visitors in the ascendancy, it was the dangerous Arnott who again caused Arlesey some discomfort as his chip required a firm header off the line.

A key theme of the Citizens’ charge towards near-promotion last season was their ability to plough through teams with ease.

However, this campaign has rendered a more patient and controlled Herns Lane side, as they purred gracefully looking for another opening.

Arnott soon got the goal his play deserved as he won a one-on-one battle with Mason and that was to be that for WGC.

The game petered out as a contest in the second phase with the away side failing to register another shot on target until subsititute Craig Arnott brought a fine 79th-minute save from the Arlesey keeper.

Nevertheless, the unbeaten run continues with tougher tests to come.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times