Welwyn Garden City dispel old myth in sensational finish to a sensational cup tie

PUBLISHED: 11:06 16 November 2017 | UPDATED: 11:06 16 November 2017

Welwyn Garden City's Paul Marks. Picture: DAVID FALLON

Welwyn Garden City's Paul Marks. Picture: DAVID FALLON


According to the old saying ‘it only takes a minute to score a goal’. Well Welwyn Garden City took that to extremes in a sensational finish to their Dudley Latham Memorial Premier Division Cup quarter-final with Crawley Green.

Trailing 3-2 deep into six-minutes of added time, they managed to score twice to win 4-3 and reach the last four.

Just when WGC’s fate seemed sealed, Jon Clements made a deep run from the left into the visitors’ box and fired it goalwards.

Goalkeeper Dean Bull stopped that one, and managed to deny Sean Brettell from the rebound.

However, when it was returned to the area, Paul Marks squeezed it in for 3-3.

Penalties suddenly seemed inevitable but even that was denied Crawley Green as Charlie Rome fired a high ball deep into the area and from the ensuing melee ensued, Clements prodded the ball over the line.

Crawley Green had played with 10 men for over 35 minutes in the second half after having forward Sean Odusanyo sent off for two bookable offences.

They had led 3-2 at that stage, using power and pace to cruelly expose the City back line although they had gone behind after just two minutes when George Ironton’s shot just had enough on it to beat Bull and roll over the line.

Green levelled on 21 minutes with a powerful header from Sam Willett but were behind again seven minutes later when Daniel Bond’s header was turned onto the bar by Bull and then sliced into his own net by Kevin McManus.

But the incredible game took another twist within three minutes when Charlie Clayton found Aaron Browne and he crashed an unstoppable 20-yarder past Charlie May.

The same combination put Green ahead just before half-time but their attacking policy changed with the dismissal of Odusanyo and WGC pressed relentlessly for the remainder of the game.

Bull made a couple of tremendous saves to thwart Ironton and then Rome, and both Josh Bronti and Clements put acceptable openings wide.

However, at that point the game moved into stoppage time and into the drama.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times