Welwyn Garden City beat Kings Langley

PUBLISHED: 16:55 10 March 2014 | UPDATED: 16:56 10 March 2014

Ben Awad wins a header for WGC

Ben Awad wins a header for WGC


Welwyn Garden City took advantage of a horrible two minute spell for Kings Langley defender Craig Preston to take three vital points in their promotion bid.

Two goals in that time, enabled the Herns Lane side to draw level with their visitors in third place in the table, although WGC trail Kings Langley on goal difference and their opponents have three games in hand.

After an undistinguished first half display by Adam Fisher’s side the game turned on 61 minutes.

Jason Caswell found Bradley Jenner with a ball to the far post, he knocked it back for Joel Norris who was taken down by a high challenge by Preston.

Referee Hillier-Smith immediately awarded a penalty and Norris rolled it home for a 2-1 lead.

Moments later, Preston, probably unnerved by his penalty concession, underhit a back pass, Caswell latched onto it and from 20 yards lifted it over Langley keeper Adam Ladyman for his 39th of the season and within three goals of equalling the club’s all-time scoring record.

At 3-1, WGC looked home and dry. But 11 minutes from time keeper Joe Croft failed to hold onto a towering free-kick from Langley’s Tom Carter.

Behind him, Juan Cifuentes failed to clear and Gary Connolly netted his second of the game.

WGC held on for the points and revenge for a 1-0 reverse at Kings Langley back in October - the defeat that ended the club’s 15 match unbeaten record, at the time.

The exciting end to the game was in direct contrast to an attritional opening 45 minutes.

WGC were grateful to Croft’s bravery in the opening two minutes to prevent Kings Langley scoring in the game’s first attack. Carl Costain had a clearance charged down by Jack Johnson, who was foiled by Croft.

WGC were playing some neat football, but without any width or any cutting edge and it was no surprise when the visitors took a 20th minute lead, Connor Toomey was given too much room to deliver a dropping pass that Connolly volleyed in.

The visitors could have had a second when Paul Insey crashed a powerful effort just over the bar.

WGC had offered little in response, other than two off-target Norris headers, but in stoppage Norris’ predatory instincts brought them level.

Jenner crossed, Caswell knocked it back and although his first effort was blocked, Norris turned in the rebound.

The second-half was more in keeping with recent WGC displays to provide the vital points and a third win in four home games.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times