Valuable point for 10-man Potters Bar Town in battle to avoid the drop

PUBLISHED: 09:22 04 February 2019 | UPDATED: 09:50 04 February 2019

George Nicholas saw red against Lewes but Potters Bar Town still grab vital point. Picture: Karyn Haddon

George Nicholas saw red against Lewes but Potters Bar Town still grab vital point. Picture: Karyn Haddon


A gutsy and battling performance from Potters Bar Town earned them a valuable point away to play-off chasing Lewes with a 0-0 draw.

They even had to see out the final few minutes with just 10 men after substitute George Nicholas was sent off.

It was the first of four straight away games for the relegation-threatened Scholars and they had their moments too at The Dripping Pan.

They will take the point, however, which although leaves them in 17th place, does lift them five points away from trouble.

It was a determined effort across the 90 minutes for Scott Cousins’ and Lee O’Leary’s men and they started the stronger.

Josh Hutchinson almost put them ahead as early as the seventh minute with a header that struck the top of Lewis Carey’s bar but the Rooks should have scored themselves 60 seconds later when a downward header from Omarr Lawson bounced up and over the bar.

Chances dried up after that early flurry with the hosts having a couple of chances that didn’t trouble Niko Tzanev in the visiting goal.

Bar still had the best chance of the half but James Budden couldn’t direct his header on target from close range.

The pattern of the first half repeated itself after the break with a bright opening from the Hertfordshire side that forced Carey to get down to stop a Mahrez Bettache shot.

But Lewes are at the top end of the table for a reason and had a 15-minute spell in the second half which tested Bar’s resilience to the fullest.

They had to make a number of blocks and tackles with Budden and Sean Grace in the middle of the defence leading the way, although both centre backs saw yellow for their troubles.

And although the Rooks had their chances, they were never coming close to taking them, a fact which spurred the Scholars on in the final 10 minutes with a victory hanging tantalisingly in front of them.

This time it was the home defenders that needed to put in the blocks but for a moment they looked the most likely to grab a winner.

That ended with Nicholas’s red card on 86 minutes but they were still able to see out the remaining time in relative comfort.

They now go to Kingstonian on Wednesday in their next outing before a trip back to the south coast on Saturday to take on Worthing.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times