Two-goal Parratt does the talking for City

PUBLISHED: 09:40 18 March 2008 | UPDATED: 21:55 26 October 2009

City striker Jake Parratt lets fly with a shot

City striker Jake Parratt lets fly with a shot

Spartan South Midlands League Premier WGC 3 Kingsbury London Tigers 2 John Hutchinson reports from Herns Lane WGC ended the six-match winning run of Kingsbury London Tigers thanks to a clinical performance from Jake Parratt. The Citizens striker bagged t

City celebrate their second goal against London Tigers

Spartan South Midlands League Premier

WGC 3 Kingsbury London Tigers 2

John Hutchinson reports from Herns Lane

City striker Craig Tomkins takes evasive action

WGC ended the six-match winning run of Kingsbury London Tigers thanks to a clinical performance from Jake Parratt.

The Citizens striker bagged two goals in what was an entertaining 3-2 victory over the London side on Saturday.

On a difficult playing surface at Herns Lane, WGC began the match at a high tempo and took the game to the form side of the division.

Howard Cowley's men had been unlucky in their last few matches, conceding late goals and not getting the rub of the green, but it was clear that the players had not lost any of their confidence as they dominated the early exchanges.

Dan Griggs tussles for the ball

Superbly led by captain Nathan Dawes, whose performances continue to impress management and fans alike, City attacked the Tigers' defence from the first whistle.

A free-kick given for a high foot on Parratt on 10 minutes was fired in from Jordan Lockie.

A nervous looking defence managed to clear the ball out for a corner, which they dealt with comfortably, but the pressure continued to grow.

Dan Griggs was having an excellent game in the middle and a ball from him into the area 13 minutes in was only inches away from the head of Craig Tomkins with the goal at his mercy.

The away side appeared to be content with hitting WGC on the counter, yet the dominant Craig McKay easily dealt with their attempts.

It was no surprise when the home side took the lead in the 18th minute.

A ball upfield was won in the air by strong centre forward Tomkins, straight into the path of Parratt.

The former Colney Heath forward took his time before blasting a precise shot to the keeper's left to put City into a well-deserved lead.

Despite going a goal behind, this failed to spur the away side into action and the Citizens, if anything, looked more likely to increase their lead.

Skipper Dawes stifled the visitors' dangerous winger, who began to see less and less of the ball.

The Tigers, far from looking like a team on form, had only a couple of audacious attempts that flew over the bar.

As the first half went on, Cowley's men began to believe in their ability, dominating the visitors in the tackle, despite the referee missing clear spoiling tactics by the Tigers.

The away side nearly snatched an equaliser on the stroke of half-time when Hardy Moreiro burst into the area with only the keeper to beat.

Out of nowhere came centre half McKay, who managed to poke the ball off Moreiro's toe and out for a corner.

The resultant corner was poorly delivered and the referee brought the first half to a close with City perhaps frustrated that they had not taken a bigger lead into the interval.

Cowley made a change at the break, bringing on youngster Rickelle Christian for Phil Kane to shore up what he thought would be an under pressure defence.

And Kingsbury began the second half looking like a side with something to prove with more emphasis on getting the ball forward to the pacy front-line, rather than the ineffective counter-attacking of the first period.

However, the Citizens got that all-important second goal in the 66th minute following a spell of pressure.

Griggs drove the ball out to the left-hand side where Ryan Mattos controlled superbly and made for the byline.

With a quick look up, he swung a well-flighted cross into the area where Parratt was on hand to fire the Citizens into a two-goal lead.

But those who thought that the game was over were badly mistaken.

Kingsbury were not six games unbeaten for no reason, and they were given a helping hand quite literally in the 78th minute when City defender Eric Gbio was punished for handball in the area and a penalty was given.

The decision seemed harsh as the ball was fizzed into the area, and Gbio certainly didn't have his arm raised, but the whistle-happy referee refused to budge and the Tigers had a way back into the game.

Centre half and captain Tarik Ellekhlifi coolly stroked the kick past home keeper Simon Bartley and it was game on once more.

The goal seemed to stun the home side, and like in the past two matches, concentration seemed to evaporate from the back line.

They were punished only a minute later when a smooth passing movement set up visiting striker Moreiro to plunder an equaliser and the London side now appeared the most likely to win the game.

To their credit, the Citizens regained their concentration, and the second goal conceded seemed to instil an anger and desire in them not to throw away what had at one stage appeared a comfortable victory.

Dawes led the team as they entered into the final stages, ensuring every player knew they could still grab that vital third goal.

And their reward came in the 87th minute - the exact same minute they had conceded the winning goal in their last game against Biggleswade United.

Luck was on their side this time however. A ball into the box by Jordan Lockie caused panic in the Tigers defence, and in the melee that ensued, McKay appeared to be bundled over six yards out.

Despite strong calls for a penalty, the referee kept his whistle in his pocket and play continued.

City kept the ball alive and pushed on into they box, having won back possession. Tomkins then found himself in a great position five yards out but failed to connect properly with the ball.

However, keeper Siki Kambila made a real howler and allowed Tomkins' tame effort to sneak past him and inside the post for a third WGC goal.

Kambila had struggled badly with his kicking and distribution all game, and it was no surprise that the Citizens had finally managed to take advantage.

Tomkins shot just wide two minutes later as the hosts played the game out, with late substitute Neil Richardson doing well to shield the ball deep in the opposition half.

At the final whistle manager Cowley punched the air and was delighted with his team's efforts.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times