Ten-man Potters Bar Town share points with Romford

PUBLISHED: 18:52 13 April 2013 | UPDATED: 18:52 13 April 2013

Cole Penny holds off his marker

Cole Penny holds off his marker


THE Pakex Stadium had most things this afternoon (Saturday), a red card, penalty, great goals and plenty of rain, the only thing it did not have was a win for the hosts as Potters Bar Town drew 2-2 with Romford.

The Scholars were back in action for the first time since their Herts Senior Cup final defeat to Hemel Hempstead Town on Tuesday.

Adam Lee was hoping his side had got over that disappointment and were focused on the task in hand.

Chances were at a premium in the first half, which was played in non-stop rain, however the two goals scored were of the highest quality.

The home side went ahead on 20 minutes, with what was the first real effort of the match, through a swift counter-attack that ended with a sublime finish from Gary Wharton.

Central midfielder Aryan Tajbakhsh carried the ball forward, knocked it out to the right for James Gershfield and his low cross was tucked into the top left stanchion by Wharton.

However, just seven minutes later the scores were level.

Jack Friend’s handball gifted the visitors a central free-kick from 19 yards.

In the cup final the Bar wall had jumped with the ball fired under it and in.

This time the wall stood firm, but could do little to stop Lewis Francis’ terrific shot flying into the top right corner.

Soon after Cole Penny showed his frustrations in the difficult conditions as he was booked for kicking the ball away, an indiscipline which would later prove costly.

A minute into the second half Romford were awarded a penalty as Bar defender Fabian Simms tugged Kurt Smith in the box.

Full-back David Ottley stepped up to take the kick and blasted it out of the stadium.

That let off boosted Bar and they regained their lead on 53 minutes.

James Gershfield won an aerial challenge with keeper Aaron Omand and pulled the ball back for Josh Hutchinson who tucked home.

Just after the hour mark Penny was shown sent-off for picking up a second yellow card after sliding into Ottley in the wet conditions.

As the 10-men were left rueing the decision they conceded a second goal.

It was as straightforward as they come as Francis’ free-kick was headed home by substitute James Ishmail.

The rest of the game was played out with Bar on the backfoot and playing on the counter-attack.

Gershfield twice was unable to capitalise when well positioned, while Romford chased a winner.

Nick Reynolds was denied by a fine Ed Thompson save, Louis Lavers hacked Reynolds goal bound header off the line before the same player volleyed across goal and wide.

In the end it was a good point for Bar who battled well in the conditions with 10 men for 25 minutes.

Potters Bar Town host Ilford at home in the league on Tuesday.

Potters Bar Town: Thompson, Munnelly, Doyle, Friend, Close (Lavers), Simms, Wharton (Eke), Tajbakhsh, Gershfield (Ailey), Penny, Hutchinson.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times