Ten-man Potters Bar claim victory over Tilbury

PUBLISHED: 16:43 27 September 2011 | UPDATED: 16:45 27 September 2011

Potters Bar's Tom Pett on the ball against Tilbury

Potters Bar's Tom Pett on the ball against Tilbury


POTTERS Bar Town recovered from having a man sent-off and being a goal down against Tilbury at home on Saturday to claim a 3-2 triumph.

The hosts started well enough, but found themselves a goal down after five minutes.

A Kevin Malthouse cross from the right was put away by Tilbury’s Emiel Aiken.

They could have scored again two minutes later, however Aaron Matthews hit the bar.

With 21 minutes on the clock things got even worse for the Scholars as Anton Agdomar was sent-off for an off the ball clash with Tilbury defender Paul King.

This seemed to wake up Potters Bar.

Bar’s Louis Collins went close on the half hour and Tom Pett levelled the scores after 32 minutes with a good finish following a bit of a scramble around the Tilbury box.

Five minutes before half-time man of the match Fabion Simms gave Potters Bar the lead with a shot from the edge of the box.

The second half was mostly bossed by the 10-men of Potters Bar.

And the game looked over on 85 minutes as substitute James Gershfield broke away, shrugged off a defender and netted to make the score 3-1.

With just injury time to go Jack West took advantage of the Potters Bar defence to clear the ball to make it an interesting last five minutes.

However, the Scholars managed to hold on to notch a second home win of the Ryman League season.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times