Ten-goal thriller keeps the pre-season wins coming for Welwyn Garden City

PUBLISHED: 13:17 20 July 2017 | UPDATED: 13:17 20 July 2017

Welwyn Garden City's Taishan Griffith. Picture: KEVIN LINES

Welwyn Garden City's Taishan Griffith. Picture: KEVIN LINES


Welwyn Garden City picked up their third win of pre-season in a thrilling encounter at the University of Herts - beating Saffron Walden Town 7-3.

Nine of the 10 goals came in the second-half as both teams brought their shooting boots.

Jon Clements, last season’s top scorer in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division while at London Colney, scored his first goals for his new club, going on to bag a hat-trick.

Another new boy, former AFC Dunstable man Brandon Carney, completed the scoring with a Taishan Griffith strike and two own-goals the other goals.

The first half saw both sides go close early on before WGC took over the majority of the possession.

Clements got the only goal of that first period, pouncing just before the break after a corner wasn’t cleared.

But whereas the first half only saw a handful of chances, the second half was completely different.

The Bloods levelled from a corner within a minute of the restart, following a good stop by substitute keeper Jack Metcalfe.

And just five minutes later it was 2-2.

A a good cross from the left was turned into their own net by a Saffron defender but they equalised again from another close-range header.

And still the goals kept coming.

Ben L’Honore, who caught the eye after half-time, threaded a through ball to Clements for his second, a fine strike across the keeper, and Clements got his third moments later after the keeper spilled one in the six-yard box.

The gap was reduced to a goal again after a defelcted shot squirmed past Metcalfe but another spate of substitutions turned the game back in the Citizens favour.

Griffith’s introduction into a new system which deployed wing backs, allowed the speedster to get down the right wing to great effect.

From one cross the ball was sliced into the net for 5-3 and Griffith then used his speed to race clear of the final defender and bury a shot across the goal.

There was even a missed penalty by Craig Arnott, saved by the keeper with the backdrop of an ever-threatening sky and the sight and sound of distant thunder and lightning.

But before the storm arrived, Carney made it seven at the far post.

Barton Rovers will provide the opposition for WGC on Saturday, again at the Hertfordshire Sports Village.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times