Super start helps Herts Senior County League side beat Essex rivals

PUBLISHED: 09:01 15 October 2011

Charlie Ledula celebrates his goal

Charlie Ledula celebrates his goal


A TERRIFIC first 15 minutes helped the Hertfordshire Senior County League (HSCL) Representative side to a 4-1 victory against the Essex Olympian League (EOL) in the FA National League System Cup.

Herts Senior County League Representative squad

Chris Adams (Codicote), Paul McGennity (Letchworth GCE), Jack Bartlett (Wormley Rovers), Marcus Brown (Letchworth GCE), Sion Hardy (Goffs Oak), Rob Groves (Letchworth GCE), Joe Tyler (Letchworth GCE), Shaun Turner (Whitwell), Charlie Ledula (Goffs Oak), John Curtis (Hinton), Harry Holland (Letchworth GCE).

Subs used – Mark Blackburne (Belstone), Wesley Fox (Goffs Oak), Darren Till (Codicote).

HSCL got off to a flyer after some good early pressure; on four minutes EOL conceded a free-kick on the edge of their penalty area.

Rob Groves stepped up and curled the ball around the wall into the bottom corner of the goal.

Three minutes later HSCL were celebrating again, after a EOL throw-in was cut out and the ball forward released Charlie Ledula who went past his marker then went round the keeper and stroked the ball into the empty net for 2-0.

A third goal was scored on 13 minutes after Sion Hardy skipped past the full back and floated a cross to the back post,

Rob Groves laid the ball to John Curtis who in one move turned his marker and curled the ball into the top of the far corner of the goal.

HSCL should have extended the lead further on 16 minutes after Rob Groves’ cross found Curtis at the far post however his headed flashed wide of the post.

After 22 minutes EOL started to put a bit of pressure on the HSCL back line however they were only restricted to a few long range efforts which were not troubling Chris Adams in the HSCL goal.

The closing stages of the first half started to get a bit scrappy however on 38 minutes Curtis was denied a second goal after being ruled offside.

The final notable chance of the half came on 43 minutes after a Groves corner was cleared to the edge of the penalty area however the ball fell nicely to Shaun Turner who hit a superb first time volley which was well saved by the EOL goalkeeper.

In the second half EOL came out with a lot more purpose and scored on 48 minutes when Chris Adams was penalised for a foul in the penalty area.

The EOL forward calmly placed the ball to the right of Adams.

EOL were unlucky on 56 minutes as their forward got behind the HSCL back line, the referee failed to play the advantage for the foul just as they had the ball in the back of the net.

The resulting free-kick was cleared to safety.

On 78 minutes HSCL killed off the tie after EOL were penalised for a foul on substitute Mark Blackburne.

Groves drilled a cross to the near post and there was Curtis to divert the ball into the back of the net for his brace and HSCL’s fourth to seal a superb victory.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times