Stellon stunner secures Welwyn Garden City a point

PUBLISHED: 10:56 29 August 2013 | UPDATED: 11:14 29 August 2013

Perry Stellon secured a point for Welwyn Garden City with a fine late strike

Perry Stellon secured a point for Welwyn Garden City with a fine late strike


WELWYN Garden City boss Adam Fisher was satisfied with a point after his side drew 2-2 at home to Southall in an entertaining affair at Herns Lane last night.

City went ahead through Jason Caswell, but then found themselves 2-1 down before a superb solo effort from substitute Perry Stellon secured them a hard-earned point.

Fisher said: “They [Southall] were definitely the best team we have played so far this season, and they are going to be right up there.

“They play some good football, but I was pleased with the performance of our lads out there, and think we deserved to get a point from the game.”

Jason Caswell put The Citizens ahead in the 34th minute after a defence splitting pass from man-of-the-match Simon Dahl.

The former Hatfield Town frontman kept his nerve to outpace a static defence, and slot past Southall keeper James Cox.

Arguably that goal came slightly against the run of play, with Southall demonstrating why they are tipped to challenge for honours in SSML Division One with a neat passing game, but guilty over over-complicating at times.

The visitors levelled things up three minutes before half-time, albeit in contentious circumstances.

A swift counter-attack saw the ball played through to Caswell bearing through on goal. As he was edged wide by David Bitsindou, it was clear to see the Southall man was tugging at the home striker, but referee Tommy George failed to blow and the visitors won the ball and launched an attack.

As so often happens, a hammer blow was dealt as Joseph Aqua was played through and he fired past Welwyn Garden City custodian Joe Croft.

The second period saw the away side continue to spray the ball around, but often their finishing in the final third was wayward, and on other occasions Croft was in good form in the City goal.

The game was then settled by a couple of superb strikes.

On 70 minutes, Southall captain Joshua Brown collected the ball some 30 yards out, chipped over the head of an onrushing Ade Osobu, and giving the ball a single bounce, hammered in an arrowed effort that gave Croft in the home goal no chance.

But Welwyn Garden City displayed a never-say-die attitude, evidently instilled in the ranks from their passionate manager Adam Fisher, and got their rewards seven minutes from time.

And it was all the work of three substitutes.

Lewis Bowyer, who came on for Bradley Jenner, took a throw just inside the Southall half. He intelligently picked out Joel Norris, who flicked onto Perry Stellon who had made a burst from centre-midfield.

On the volley, from the edge of the box, Stellon hammered in the equaliser to the delight of a fair-sized crowd at Herns Lane.

Things could have been even better for The Citizens only two minutes later when Osobu was picked out in the box, but his weak eight-yard effort was comfortably gathered in by Cox.

But all in all it was a hard-earned point for Fisher’s troops, and next up is an away trip to Amersham Town this Saturday (August 31).

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times