Stellon strikes to send Citizens into FA Vase second round

PUBLISHED: 18:49 19 October 2013 | UPDATED: 17:29 21 October 2013

Perry Stellon

Perry Stellon


Welwyn Garden City’s club record 11th consecutive victory in all competitions this afternoon (Saturday) ensured their place in the second round of the FA Vase.

Midfielder Perry Stellon’s fine 25 yard effort in the first half was to be the only goal of the game as WGC defeated Combined Counties League Division One side Bedfont & Feltham at Herns Lane.

As well as being the club’s 11th win on the spin it was also their 15th game without defeat under manager Adam Fisher who took over as boss in the summer.

The triumph also netted the club £900 in prize money.

The opening 20 minutes of the tie saw little between the two teams, although the hosts saw the majority of the ball, the away side saw chances for Jahmal Ramsey, Seb Philogene and Luke Craig not taken.

WGC’s first sniff of goal came as top scorer Jason Caswell, who went into the matching having netted seven times in the previous two games, beat keeper Berta Balazs to the ball only for his header to go skywards before being cleared on 21 minutes.

Seconds later Caswell’s striker partner Joel Norris was played through, he lobbed Balazs only to see his effort hit the top of the crossbar and go over.

The breakthrough then came on 25 minutes.

A nice move saw Caswell find Isaac Oppong on the right flank he put the ball into the box and it eventually was half cleared to Stellon 25 yards out.

He got it under control and sent a high dipping effort goalwards over Balazs and into the roof of the net to the delight of the home faithful.

Bedfont tried to reply before the break however Ramsey sent a drive well over from distance and Ben Payne shot at home stopper Joe Croft after getting the better of full-back Sean Brettell.

The hosts started the second period on the front-foot with a Brettell ball from the left finding defender Carl Costain, forward for an earlier corner, at the far post he nodded back across goal, but nobody was there to profit for City.

Norris dragged a shot to the left of the away side’s goal midway through the second half.

Craig had two efforts in a minute for Bedfont, the first was pushed away by Croft and the second deflected off target.

Fisher introduced Ben Awad and Ade Osobu into the game in the second period and they both could have added their names to the scoresheet.

Awad fired off target from the edge of the box and Osobu had a prod goalwards parried by the keeper and then the forward put the follow-up wide when he should have sealed the game.

WGC managed to withstand building pressure during the five minutes of added on time to see out the game and book their place in the next stage.

The second round proper will take place on Saturday, November 16.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times