Saywell adds another to goal tally but AFC Hatfield soundly beaten

PUBLISHED: 16:58 17 January 2017 | UPDATED: 16:59 17 January 2017

Mark Rogers battles for AFC Hatfield

Mark Rogers battles for AFC Hatfield


Stefan Saywell’s 22nd goal of the season was the only bright spot of a disappointing afternoon for 10-man AFC Hatfield at promotion-chasing AFC Oaklands.

The visitors found themselves 3-0 down at the break before Saywell reduced the arrears early in the second period.

Oaklands, who had won their previous seven games before this encounter, surged on though and, helped by the dismissal of AFC Hatfield’s Jimmy Davis, they sealed the dominant win.

Hatfield spent most of the first half trying to keep up with the opposition’s neat approach play.

In the first minute Makoni made a terrific diving save which was an indication of things to come.

Four minutes later, Hatfield’s defence was split open and Am Watson shot past keeper Tatenda Makoni.

Three minutes later Oaklands’ strikers combined to breach AFC’s defence again and Scott Cleland made it 2-0 with another close-range finish.

Hatfield had a good chance to pull a goal back midway through the first period when skipper Steve Golder shot narrowly wide following a free-kick but 11 minutes from the break Oaklands found the net again when their top scorer Matthew Walsh headed in unmarked to make it 3-0.

Into the second half, AFC regrouped and Mark Rogers headed just wide.

Five minutes later Rogers turned provider for Saywell who burst clear of the Oaklands defence and drew the keeper one-on-one before slotting home with a trademark finish.

At the other end, Makoni was called into action again, tipping the ball on to the post on the hour.

Things got worse for AFC on the hour when a leg injury to full-back Steven Kealy forced him off and 13 minutes later hamstring problems for Adam Harper saw him replaced as well.

The injuries mounted up for AFC three minutes later when skipper Golder fell awkwardly in a routine challenge which resulted in what looked like a shoulder injury at the time.

An x-ray at hospital revealed it to be a broken collarbone which could keep him out for three months.

Three minutes later things got worse for AFC when Davis was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Saywell had a chance to reduce the arrears 12 minutes from time but shot at the Oaklands keeper.

However, with 10 men there was no chance of Hatfield getting back into the match now.

Hatfield proceeded to let in two more goals in the last 10 minutes when substitutes Sonny Bennett and Jacob Noonon both scored as AFC pushed forward leaving gaps at the back.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times