Record finish for Potters Bar Town

PUBLISHED: 16:25 01 May 2013 | UPDATED: 16:28 01 May 2013

Chris Doyle celebrates opening the scoring

Chris Doyle celebrates opening the scoring


POTTERS Bar Town’s 2-2 draw with play-off placed Witham Town on the final day of their season ensured them a club record league finish.

The Scholars ended the 2012/13 Ryman League Division One North campaign in 11th place with 58 points, just beating last year’s record of 12th position and 57 points.

Going into the clash Adam Lee’s side knew if they avoided defeat they would achieve their best ever placing.

Things started slowly for both sides with few chances in the opening 20 minutes.

A James Gershfield free-kick fired over was all Bar had to show for their efforts, while at the other end Dan Emmanuel did likewise when well placed.

The breakthrough came on 21 minutes as a spell of Bar possession ended with Chris Doyle driving a low attempt in off the post giving Witham keeper Jason Baker no chance.

Just five minutes later though the visitors from Essex got back on level terms.

A James Stevens free-kick from the right wing was headed in past Ed Thompson by Brad Stopher.

Witham could have then taken the lead had it not have been for Thompson turning a Stevens shot around the post.

On the stroke of half-time the away side again went close as Paul King headed another Stevens free-kick over.

The influential Aryan Tajbakhsh teed up striker Marcus Ekeh early in the second half, but his attempted lob was gathered by Baker.

An entertaining clash then saw Bar defender Wesley Beckles manage to deflect a goalbound Tom Holdstock volley over from six yards.

A debatable back-pass decision was then given against Witham, the free-kick just inside their box was rolled by Tajbakhsh to Doyle who smashed against the crossbar and over.

The Scholars got back in front as Tajbakhsh released Gershfield and he found a way past Baker to make the score 2-1.

Thompson was alert to deny substitute sam Taylor after he had wriggled past Beckles to get a shot away.

The equaliser came as a long throw-in from the right was only cleared as far as Stevens and he hammered in from just inside the area.

Bar had chances before the end to snatch the three points.

Visiting stopper Baker saved well from Doyle, Gary Wharton had an attempt blocked and Tajbakhsh fired just wide after a fine run past a couple of players.

The draw as a fair result in the end after what had been a good season for The Scholars who also were finalists in the Herts Senior Cup.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times