Potters Bar Town notch another big win ahead of Rovers clash

PUBLISHED: 16:45 17 January 2017 | UPDATED: 16:51 17 January 2017

Garry Jones. Picture by Mark Long

Garry Jones. Picture by Mark Long


Potters Bar Town took their unbeaten Southern League Division One Central streak to eight games with a last-gasp 2-1 victory at Kidlington on Saturday.

Having beaten leaders Royston Town just three days earlier the hosts would have been in confident mood going into the encounter.

However, second-half goals from captain Garry Jones and substitute Michael Murray grabbed another vital three points in the race for the play-offs.

Bar had luck to thank for the goalless half-time scoreline as Kidlington twice hit the woodwork.

The better of the two chances came when a thunderous shot from a 20-yard free-kick smashed against the crossbar.

Early in the second half, the visitors had an early penalty shout as Max Holland was brought down in the box. However, those appeals were waved away.

Six minutes into the second half the deadlock was finally broken.

Excellent play by Will Wambeek down the left saw the ball played to Femi Ogunsola, on his first start, who turned a defender and shot low.

His shot was blocked by another defender whose attempted clearance went to Jones positioned centrally who rifled home a low shot.

Then, Ashley Nathaniel-George’s left-hand cross saw a good header from Ogunsola beat the keeper but brush the left-hand post.

Nathaniel-George then went on a mazy run down the left, cutting into the box before forcing the keeper to parry the ball away.

This impressive spell was to be broken by a home equaliser.

A fierce shot from the edge of the box was parried by keeper Ravan Constable and Anaclet Odhiambo was on hand to follow up and level the scores on 67 minutes.

The Greens then had the chance to go ahead on 70 minutes when Odhiambo was felled in the box by Sean Grace but he shot wide of the post with the penalty and the chance was gone.

Grace was injured in that incident and was replaced by striker Murray.

Just when the game looked to be heading towards a point apiece Bar pulled out the winner.

Wambeek again won possession and released Nathaniel-George into the box.

He crossed for Ogunsola, who turned and had his shot blocked, but the ball fell to Murray who skipped past a player to create space and placed his low shot into the corner with two minutes to go.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times