Potters Bar Town end goal drought

PUBLISHED: 12:18 13 March 2014 | UPDATED: 12:18 13 March 2014

Tobi Akin controls the ball

Tobi Akin controls the ball


After a run of six consecutive defeats and no goals, Potters Bar Town stopped the rot with a 1-1 draw at AFC Hayes on Saturday.

The game didn’t start well as Hayes camped in Town’s backyard with a string of good moves and quick passing.

On five minutes a blistering long range shot from Andrew Harewood hit the crossbar with Scholars’ keeper Mike Underwood beaten.

Slowly but surely Bar asserted themselves with Evandro Delgado looking dangerous.

On several occasions the visitors exposed the Hayes defence, but as so often in the past they were unable to make this domination count.

Bar were getting into good positions and had several shots, most of which were on target with Hayes keeper Bobby Khaira kept busy.

A move down the right involving Tobi Akin saw a shot from Ashley Harrison-Barker fisted away by Khaira.

Delgado beat several players in a mazy run to the box, squared to Josh Hutchinson who produced another good save from Khaira.

At the other end Hayes continued to pose a threat with Cass putting in a cross which Bar scrambled away after twice clearing off the line.

The second half saw the Scholars pile on the pressure with Hutchinson and Akin both going close.

After 65 minutes the Scholars’ hard work paid off. Harrison-Barker took a throw just inside the Hayes half, the ball was touched to Cole Penny who fed Akin, he beat a defender and slotted in to end the goal drought.

From the restart Hayes immediately attacked and within two minutes earned a corner on the left.

A cross was headed on by Charlie Goode bringing a spectacular save from Underwood, but he could only watch as the ball landed at the feet of Hayes substitute Rhys Paul who bundled it over the line.

Town kept on pressing and went close on several of occasions, but were unable to find the final finishing touch.

With three minutes of normal time left, Bar had Lee Close sent off.

A two-footed lunge by Paul on a Bar player saw Paul booked and Close sent off for his part in a melee.

The visitors almost snatched a winner in the dying seconds as Matt Clifford combined with Penny to set up man of the match Tom Laxton but the midfielder’s strike was blocked and the Scholars settled for an away point.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times