Potters Bar Town drop points in hunt for play-offs

PUBLISHED: 17:10 07 March 2017 | UPDATED: 17:10 07 March 2017

Ryan Forde. Picture by Mark Long

Ryan Forde. Picture by Mark Long


With eight games of their Southern League Division One Central campaign remaining, Potters Bar Town now sit seven points outside of the play-offs following Saturday’s 1-1 draw at Arlesey Town.

It was a frustrating afternoon for Steve Ringrose’s side as they created plenty of chances, but could only take one before a suckerpunch of an equaliser from the hosts.

There was a lack of quality to the early play, but the visitor’s started brightly looking the more threatening and were soon in control of the game.

Omar Vassell and Michael Murray combined to play in Ryan Forde whose effort was deflected away.

Then Murray, Forde and Eoin Casey linked-up to play in Garry Jones whose shot was cleared for a corner. That set-piece resulted in a firm header from Casey going over the crossbar.

A Joe Bennett corner was again headed over by Casey then Chris Doyle played in Ashley Nathaniel-George who passed to Murray, but his shot was blocked.

A rare Arlesey sortie into the visitors’ half saw keeper Berkley Laurencin make a comfortable save from a header.

As they continued to look for the opener, Nathaniel-George cut into the box, beat two defenders and appeared to be brought down, nothing was given, and he needed the physio on for the resultant injury.

Then a Bennett cross was well met by Casey whose firm header struck the left hand post bouncing along the line and the keeper somehow scrambled the ball away.

Amazingly half-time arrived goal less, much to the frustration of the visiting supporters.

The second half continued in the same vain.

Nathaniel-George won a corner that saw a firm strike from Will Wambeek well saved.

Then finally on 60 minutes the deadlock was broken.

Good play by Doyle saw him feed the ball to Bennett on the right.

His low cross was met on the edge of the box by Forde who struck firmly, with a slight deflection, past the diving keeper.

Then Vassell and Doyle combined to find Bennett but his shot was cleared. Another Forde effort from outside the box was well saved as Bar looked for a second.

Then Nathaniel-George went down the left and squared for Jones to let fly, but he shot over from 18 yards.

On 75 minutes Bar were made to pay for their wastefulness in front of goal. They were caught on the break and cross was centred for Kim Forsythe to head home to earn his side a share of the spoils.

Bar travel to Ashford Town on Saturday.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times