Pett’s penalty ensures Potters Bar Town beat AFC Hayes in FA Trophy

PUBLISHED: 20:39 22 October 2011 | UPDATED: 20:46 22 October 2011

Potters Bar's Tom Pett

Potters Bar's Tom Pett


TOM Pett’s first half penalty proved to be the difference as Potters Bar Town beat AFC Hayes 1-0 in the FA Trophy this afternoon (Saturday).

The Scholars, of the Ryman League Division One North, edged a close first half that had few clear cut chances for either side in the competition’s first round qualifying at the South Mimms Travel Stadium.

Ashley Harrison-Barker and then Pett both had penalty appeals turned down as Bar struggled to get shots on target.

At the other end keeper Matt Bennett was also rarely tested and was well placed to collect a tame effort from Hayes front-man Matt Woods.

The major decision of the game came just after the half-hour mark as Pett set Harrison-Barker away inside the visitors’ box and he was felled by midfielder Trevor Charlery.

It was to be third time lucky for Bar as this time referee David Avent did point to the spot.

Captain Pett buried the kick into the left side of the goal beating keeper Simon Grant who had dived the right way, but was unable to keep it out.

Before the break impressive Bar striker Anton Agdomar had a header saved and curled another opportunity off target.

Hayes were unlucky not to level five minutes before the break as Dan Vincent crossed for Charlery and his powerful drive was importantly blocked by new Bar recruit Ross Dedman.

The start of the second saw Town dominate for 15 minutes.

They were camped in the Hayes half and forced corner after corner, but Fabion Simms and Agdomar both headed Matt Clifford set-pieces wide.

The direction of the half changed as Bar boss Adam Lee was forced to take off the injured Agdomar.

From that moment on his troops appeared on edge and Hayes piled on the pressure.

Bennett saved from substitute Kevin Chakaodza as the away side turned the screw.

It looked like they had levelled when a goal-bound effort from Woods beat Bennett and was destined for the bottom left corner until it was blocked by one of his own players virtually on the goal-line.

With 10 minutes left Louie Lavers got in the way of another Chakaodza pot-shot and then Bennett held onto Woods’ turn and shot.

Bar’s hearts were in their mouths a minute from time as Woods went down in the box after being challenged by Bennett, but nothing was given.

After a couple of minutes of injury time, during which Bar fans were on the edge of their seats, the referee blew the final whistle as Town booked their place in the second round qualifying.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times