Parkinson on target for Welwyn Garden City to down Colney Heath

PUBLISHED: 10:09 31 March 2016

Dave Parkinson

Dave Parkinson


Dave Parkinson's fourth goal in successive games gave Welwyn Garden City a 1-0 double over struggling neighbours Colney Heath to get the Herns Lane side back to winning ways in midweek.

For the fourth match in succession Parkinson found the net crashing home a fierce effort under Heath keeper Ollie Leslie after recalled Craig Arnott had failed to turn in a pinpoint cross from the outstanding Sam Perrin in 63 minutes.

A solitary goal on Wednesday gave WGC maximum points for the second time this season over a Heath side, now managed by ex-Hatfield boss Micky Nathan after their 1-0 away win in November, achieved by John McGrandles’ very late goal.

WGC boss Adam Fisher, with a depleted side without the unwell Jay Lovell and Carl Mensah and with Joe Price unavailable, also elected to rest his two top scorers Josh Bronti and Ashley Kersey.

He did start Danny Payne in midfield after time out with illness.

As a result of resting his twin spearhead, there was little goalmouth action in the opening half.

The exception being a quickly taken free-kick on 14 minutes which saw skipper Daryl Smith play Luke Robins in only for Leslie to make a sharp, one-handed stop low down.

Arnott skied another opening way over the top, as did Jason Caswell and Parkinson with later chances, while at the other end, Colney Heath’s best two openings fell to winger Joe Longworth, but he finished both weakly.

Matters were much improved after the break from a WGC standpoint and they dominated the second half.

Robins had an early effort saved by keeper Lewis’ feet, before Parkinson broke the deadlock.

Heath responded with a Jay Rolfe shot over the bar, but it was an isolated effort as WGC dominated, Smith having the visiting keeper scrambling to keep out a 20 yard snapshot.

The visitors were reduced to 10 men when Samson King was sent off for a second yellow card after a dispute over a corner to WGC which did appear to be a Heath goal-kick.

Parkinson was inches away from a second when he peeled away from a Jay Welsh corner to get in a glancing header that beat Leslie, but defender James Lawrence got it off the line.

The introduction of Bronti and Kersey for the final half-hour did make a difference and a Kersey run down the right was only foiled by another save from Leslie with his legs to keep the lead to one goal.

In comparison, Joe Croft had a quiet evening in the WGC goal, but two minutes from time, a slip let in Colney captain Charncey Dash and Croft made a fine stop with his legs.

In the closing moments, WGC introduced keeper Kieran Clayton for Croft to qualify him for their two upcoming cup finals.

WGC: Croft (Clayton 89), Perrin, Boodhoo, McGrandles, Welsh, Payne (Bronti 59), Smith, Arnott (Kersey 71), Parkinson, Caswell, Robins.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times