Norris fires five as Citizens put ten past sorry Stony Stratford

PUBLISHED: 17:12 20 August 2013 | UPDATED: 17:12 20 August 2013

Joel Norris (9) is congratulated after his first goal

Joel Norris (9) is congratulated after his first goal


NEW Welwyn Garden City striker Joel Norris helped himself to a five goal haul, as the Citizens broke their duck for the new season by ramming a double figure total past hapless Stony Stratford Town.

The youthful, tactically naive Bucks team are in for a long, hard, season on this evidence, as WGC are the second team to put 10 past them in a campaign just a week old.

Ironically, the visitors competed well for the opening quarter of the game, despite having shipped 15 goals in their opening pair of league fixtures.

WGC went ahead in nine minutes when Sam Perrin’s throw-in was flicked on for Jason Caswell to loop an accurate side volley over Stony keeper Wharton.

Wharton foiled Ade Osobu in another raid with a brave point blank save, but the ball popped up for Norris to nod in his first of the afternoon.

But the two goal advantage lasted just two minutes. WGC new midfielder Juan Cifuentes was woefully short with a back header intended for keeper Freddie Hester. Stony’s Charles Nti latched onto it and Hester was forced to pull the forward down. Stony’s Deano Bailey-Brown netted the spot-kick.

At 2-1 the Bucks side were briefly back in it, but on 31 minutes, Norris added his second and the Citizens’ third, heading a Paul Taylor cross firmly home from eight yards.

By the interval, it was 4-1 as Caswell dispossessed Stony defender Sam Samba, waltzed around keeper Wharton and rolled in his second, six minutes from the break.

After the interval, boss Fisher replaced two-goal Caswell to rest a niggling injury and Cifuentes and replaced them with fit-again Daryl Smith and Ben Awad.

The second half became a procession of attacks on the Stony goal. Smith took eight minutes to make his mark, lashing in a rebound after Norris had an initial effort blocked, for 5-1.

Two minutes later Norris added his hat-trick goal, showing great strength in bursting between two visiting defenders to lash in number six.

In a rare foray by Stony, Hester was forced into a save to keep out a well struck free-kick from Bailey-Brown, but generally, the traffic was one way.

The WGC seventh saw Awad and Smith set up the chance. Smith tucked it under Wharton and Isaac Oppong slipped in to apply the finish.

Stony Stratford replaced their goalkeeper, the beleagured Wharton making way for teenager Scott Richie, but in the closing stages Norris added two more. The first saw Osobu have an effort blocked, but Norris swung in a rebound and then the striker again showed his power to burst past the defence to crash in his fifth of the game.

WGC completed double figures deep into stoppage time, Osobu getting the goal his efforts deserved, tapping home after Awad and Kenna opened up the Stony defence.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times