My Dixie beat Blackpool to claim Ultimate Football Easter Cup

PUBLISHED: 09:17 26 April 2016 | UPDATED: 09:17 26 April 2016

FC Big Fan v Old Guard

FC Big Fan v Old Guard


In the Ultimate Football Welwyn Garden City Monday night six-a-side league, Toby Warner’s My Dixie were victorious in The Easter Cup final with a 2-0 win over Blackpool.

Both sides played a tactical first half with neither team wanting to give their opponent a shot on goal.

Some delightful one touch passing provided striker Jack Hague with a shot on goal after nine minutes played and he took his chance to score.

Steve Charles’ Blackpool moved the ball around the pitch well, but they lacked inspiration going forward and their goal scoring efforts were few and far between.

After the break, Blackpool re-grouped and they initially had more possession, however, a counter attack from My Dixie mid-way through the half opened up a chance for Warner to seal the win.

Dixie keeper Jack Hann was awarded the man of the match.

The third place play-off match was contested between Dean Sadlers’ Rag Rovers and Ben Smith’s Ivory Toast.

Rovers looked a threat from the outset and Sean Mboto scored the opener for the green jersey outfit.

Two well-taken goals from Dan Dixon put Rovers 3-0 up with just a few minutes to play out of the first half. Toast’s attacking midfielder Dan Winwood gave his side a glimmer of hope as he netted just before the half-time whistle.

A more positive Ivory Toast emerged after the re-start and this enabled Adam Wright to reduce the arrears to just one goal.

Unfortunately for Toast just minutes later, there was little they could do to stop man of the match Dixon from completing his hat-trick and re-establishing a two-goal cushion for Rovers.

In the dying minutes, Toast appeared to find their rhythm and looked like they may rescue a draw when Wright scored his second of the night to bring the score to 4-3.

Despite a final flurry of attempts from Toast, Rovers defended their goal well and hung on for the third place plaudits.

FC Big Fan, led by captain Chris Houghton played their first pre-season friendly in a match with reigning Premiership champions The Old Guard.

Guard looked comfortable creating several scoring chances.

Nevertheless, Big Fan’s keeper Chris Dungate denied the Guard on numerous occasions.

Despite being outscored with hat-tricks from Charlie Lloyd and Rhys Lawrence, Houghton will take consolation from the positive signs his team showed.

On Monday, May 9 Ultimate Football have two new seasons starting; one for veteran players aged 35 and over and one for open age players 16 years and over.

Visit or call 07535 556677 for more information about the league.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times