Mixed Bank Holiday results for Potters Bar Town

PUBLISHED: 10:39 02 September 2016 | UPDATED: 10:42 02 September 2016

Potters Bar Town's Lamar Simpson heads off target. Picture: Mark Long

Potters Bar Town's Lamar Simpson heads off target. Picture: Mark Long


Steve Ringrose’s Potters Bar Town followed up Saturday’s 3-1 home victory over 10-man Petersfield Town by capitulating on the road at Northwood on Bank Holiday Monday.

Leading 2-0 thanks to goals from Ashley Nathaniel George and Ryan Forde, the hosts battled back to stun Bar and claim a 3-2 win.

Myles Stephenson, Ryan Debattista and Louis Bircham struck the killer blows for Northwood in their unlikely comeback win.

It was a different story on Saturday when Bar were ahead after just six minutes.

Eoin Casey fed Joe Bennett inside the penalty area and his cross picked out Jack Lyons who controlled the ball and rolled it past the keeper.

Minutes later Bennett’s in-swinging free-kick was met by Forde who saw his header clipped over the bar by the busy keeper.

The home side continued to press and when Carl McCluskey’s pass picked out Lamar Simpson just inside the penalty area his jinking run saw him cut inside and beat the keeper but a defender retreated to clear the ball off the line.

The wake-up call arrived in the 27th minute.

Simpson’s clumsy challenge resulted in a Petersfield penalty but Daniel Simmonds saw his spot kick well-saved by a sprawling Ben Goode.

Just two minutes later a poor challenge by Petersfield’s Aley Whittingham saw him get a second yellow card and an early bath.

With half-time approaching Goode again had to be at his best to prevent an equaliser while Simpson, Danny Hart and Jack Lyons all had chances to extend the lead but failed to test the visiting keeper.

Scholars full-back Billy Baird was ill at half-time so was replaced by Ishmael Thomas making his Scholars debut.

In comparison the second half never lived up to the first and in the 50th minute a free-kick for the away side resulted in a Stuart Green header making the score 1-1.

Five minutes later a succession of Bar corners put Petersfield’s defence under pressure and finally Forde struck low under Thomas Boyle’s dive to give the hosts the lead again.

There were few chances at either end as the humid conditions took its toll on both sets of players.

Michael Murray blazed over for the home side in the 80th minute but when Simpson drove inside as the game entered injury time, his pass found the aforementioned forward who finished with aplomb.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times