Mboto and Todd net to hand Codicote three points

PUBLISHED: 10:06 30 January 2017 | UPDATED: 10:06 30 January 2017

James Todd has a shot at goal.

James Todd has a shot at goal.

Danny Loo Photography 2016

Codicote finally got a league game under way after several postponements and secured a 2-1 win over Ampthill Town on Saturday.

New signing Jordan Leech-Levy led the line and straight away the ex-Arlesey man was on hand to test the visiting keeper.

With 21 minutes gone Codicote took the lead.

A flowing move down the left saw the ball whipped across the box and hesitation from the Ampthill keeper allowed James Todd to slide the ball into the net at the far pos.

Codicote looked to press home their advantage and within minutes had a guilt-edged chance to make it two.

Sean Mboto, who all-day tormented the visitors full-back, drove at the full back whose last ditch tackle saw the official point to the spot.

Leech-Levy stepped up, but an excellent one-handed save kept the score at 1-0.

Slowly Ampthill started to come into the game and Codicote full back Sam Reyner had to be on his toes in keeping out the winger, but when the player delivered the ball into the box his team-mates were denied by Dean Sadler and Jake Hoy.

With Codicote playing a five-man midfield they were seeing plenty of the ball and able to release wide men Mboto and another new signing Dominic Fraser while the terrier like Jack Gajjar and James Todd gave time for Abel Mudimu to keep Codicote moving forward.

With 30 minutes on the clock Codicote stretched their lead with a super strike from Mboto.

Leech-Levy worked the defence then played the ball inside to Mboto who skipped past one defender then let loose with a thunderous drive from 25 yards that dipped into the top corner.

The home side were good for their 2-0 lead and could have made it three when Todd rose above everyone, but couldn’t keep his header down.

But it wasn’t one way traffic, Ampthill were looking for a way back into the game.

They played some attractive football and just as Codicote were sitting on their lead, a lack on concentration saw another far post ball evade Harper and his defenders for the Ampthill man to bundle the ball over the line.

The second half should have seen Codicote once again stretch their lead early on, but with Leech-Levy bearing down on goal the visitors keeper narrowed the angle and the player was unable to find the net.

Ampthill were looking to get on level terms and at times a panicking Codicote defence were at sixes and sevens.

The home side seemed content to hit the opposition on the counter and with Mboto, Fraser and Todd had the pace to do so, but they couldn’t find that killer touch.

With still 25 minutes to go Ampthill rung the changes and disbanded with their passing game and looked to hit the ball into the channels or over Codicote’s full-backs.

The tactic nearly worked had Codicote defensive not been well marshalled by Sadler and Hoy.

With seconds to go Ampthill had one last chance to level, but their strikers didn’t test the keeper.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times