London Colney inflict night to forget on Welwyn Garden City

PUBLISHED: 10:40 13 August 2015 | UPDATED: 10:40 13 August 2015

Craig Arnott

Craig Arnott


After the highs of last Saturday’s 6-0 away thumping of London Tigers, Welwyn Garden City were brought down to the Herns Lane turf with a thud after succumbing to runners-up London Colney 4-1 last night (Wednesday).

This wasn’t a total outclassing but WGC’s lack of conviction and quality in the final third coupled with some lacklustre backline action that duly set them up to fail.

Credit where credit is due however. Colney, many people’s favourites for this season’s Spartan South Midlands Premier Division title, were as proficient in front of goal as the Citizens were mute.

Loose defending allowed Lee Armitt, assisted by former Hatfield Town man Matt Standen, to escape his shackles and cleanly strike past Joe Croft for the opener within six minutes.

Niggly periods of play distrupted any chance of a quick-fire comeback and just before the half-hour mark, it was two.

Lee Close muscled his way from the touchline, past a throng of home defenders and nestled the ball into the back of the net. The visitors’ wild celebrations told the significance of the goal. They already had a hand on what could be a vital three points come the end of the season.

Half-time came and went with WGC failing to gain a foothold and Danny Payne’s presumed hamstring injury added a further sour note to the contest.

The best Adam Fisher’s men could muster up to then was centre-back Carl Mensah’s delicate chip, from Daryl Smith’s floated free kick, midway through the second half, that landed agonisingly over the bar.

Colney were hunting in red packs throughout this one and made their dominance pay further in the 82nd minute.

A free-kick was wafted hopefully into the six-yard box, and with Croft flapping, it bounced into the unguarded goal.

Substitute Russell Gallagher then made it four on the stroke of full-time as the home defence evaporated again.

WGC did manage to salvage something from a difficult evening when fellow substitue Craig Arnott coolly finished, but the outcome had long been decided.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times