Loads of cards but only cheer is for Potters Bar’s win

PUBLISHED: 14:44 24 December 2017 | UPDATED: 14:45 24 December 2017

Sandro Costa put in a man of the match display for Potters Bar Town.


Sandro Costa put in a man of the match display for Potters Bar Town. Picture: KARYN HADDON


There were plenty of cards on show at Julius Martin Lane but precious little Christmas cheer as both teams saw red but in the end Potters Bar Town got the upper hand and left Soham Town Rangers with three points and a 3-1 win.

Goals from Sandro Costa and Lewis Clayton left the sides level at half-time before the hosts’ Lewis Endacott and Lee Chaffey were dismissed along with the Scholars’ Steve Brown.

But goals from Chris Doyle and Eoin Casey ensured Bar would remain hot on the heels of the Bostik North Division play-off places.

The visitors got off to a great start in front of a crowd of 121 and on a pitch that was soft and uneven, scoring within two minutes.

It came from a long throw from Doyle which was controlled by Joakim Ehui. He then turned and sent in a low cross to the far post where Costa was steaming in.

It settled the Scholars down early and they almost had a second when Michael Murray’s shot was blocked in the six-yard box.

However, the Greens would score next after a free-kick from Bar went horribly wrong and allowed the home side to burst forward, Clayton getting the final touch.

The second half was a cagey affair with no real chances for either side.

But that all changed on the hour when Endecott received a second yellow for bringing down Costa and left the home side with 10 men.

Potters Bar took full advantage, with the hosts picking up further bookings, usually for fouls on the fleet-footed and dangerous Costa.

The Scholars got their noses in front on 72 minutes when a cross from debutant Gilberto Abril was rifled home by Doyle.

Another attack from the visitors forced a corner and it was from that set-piece that a player from each side headed back to the dressing room early.

The players got entangled which led to a melee. When order was restored the referee sent off Chaffey and gave Brown a second yellow.

There was still time for the result to be put to bed when a cross into Casey saw his header down met by Abril.

That shot was blocked but fell back into the path of Casey, who made no mistake firing home to secure all three points on 89 minutes.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times