Lemsford just hold on

PUBLISHED: 14:46 07 April 2008 | UPDATED: 21:14 26 October 2009

Herts Senior County League Division One Lemsford 3 St Peter s 2 LEMSFORD kept alive their slim hopes of promotion with a victory against St Peter s that wasn t as easy as it perhaps should have been. Craig Attfield s men were 3-0 up by half- time at Welw

Herts Senior County League Division One

Lemsford 3 St Peter's 2

LEMSFORD kept alive their slim hopes of promotion with a victory against St Peter's that wasn't as easy as it perhaps should have been.

Craig Attfield's men were 3-0 up by half- time at Welwyn Playing Fields.

But a dour second half from the promotion hopefuls allowed the visitors back into the Herts Senior County League Division One match.

The win does mean that the side have lost just twice in 20 league matches, and both of those defeats came against title-chasing Wodson Park.

It is that form which has seen the club climb from the bottom of the table in early September to the brink of third place and the final promotion spot, although there are a host of teams sitting just below with a number of games in hand.

Saturday's match was a game of two halves, with Lemsford steamrolling their opponents in the first 45 minutes.

The Jones strike partnership of Chris and Matt tested St Peter's keeper Jonny Shearer early on as they signalled their intent.

It wasn't long before Shearer was beaten for the first time when a Matt Jones corner flew virtually across the goal-line and Matt Harris put his head in amongst various static defenders to give his side the lead.

His first goal may have been from the closest range possible, but Harris showed he is a long-range specialist as well as a poacher with his second of the afternoon.

He made it 2-0 with a sweetly struck volley from 30 yards which nestled neatly into the bottom corner.

In a half which Lemsford dominated, Chris Jones also grabbed his 17th goal of the season when he nodded in David Morris' cross from the right.

With Russell Owen, James Chang, Simon Chang, Steve Cross and Peter Cross all solid at the back, and Danny Pickett and David Williams working hard in the middle of the park, it seemed the second half would be a formality with the village side holding a 3-0 lead.

However, St Peter's came out fighting in the second period and ended up having Lemsford sweating to hold onto their lead.

Goals from Matt Gauthier and Craig Chapman hauled the away side back into the match as they attempted to stage a memorable comeback.

However, with the threat of letting a 3-0 lead collapse and knowing they had the management trio of Attfield, Tony Clare and Colin King to answer to, Lemsford tightened up and just held on for the points.

James Chang could have grabbed a late fourth goal but his one-on-one effort was well saved by Shearer.

The victory puts Lemsford in fourth, although with games coming every Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday for teams across the league until the end of the month, it will be difficult to predict if a promotion place is capable.

It is possible for the club to be promoted if they win their final three games of the season, and it will be interesting to see who takes the final promotion spot currently occupied by Chipperfield Corinthians.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times