Joe hits winner for the Citizens at Herns Lane

PUBLISHED: 16:34 28 September 2011

WGC FC's Joe Brunt

WGC FC's Joe Brunt


JOE Brunt’s second half strike handed WGC their first victory in four league games as they triumphed 2-1 over Buckingham Athletic at Herns Lane on Saturday.

It was Brunt’s first goal for the club and was gleefully celebrated by himself and his team-mates.

City had flown out of the blocks and took the lead after just three minutes.

WGC forced a corner and Tommy Kiernan’s cross was headed into the corner of the net by Leigh Nymm for his fourth league goal of the campaign.

The home side dominated the first period, but a host of chances went begging as forwards Ade Osobu and Brunt both went close on several occasions.

City stopper Joe Croft was rarely tested as his side went into the break with a slender one-goal advantage.

Missed opportunities looked to have cost WGC as Buckingham got back on level terms at the start of the second half.

City were slack in midfield and allowed Adam Bone through and he finished well for the visitors on 49 minutes.

Just six minutes later though WGC regained the advantage in somewhat fortunate circumstances.

A cross was fumbled by the Athletic keeper which allowed Brunt to knock the ball into the empty net.

Neither side were able to add to their tally, but Athletic did benefit from a correct refereeing decision.

With 10 minutes to go City were reduced to 10-men as central defender Tony Gotobed was shown red for bringing down an attacker when he was clean through on goal.

Despite giving away the numerical advantage, the Citizens held out for victory.

After the game, City boss Simon Braine said: “I’m very happy with the win, although it could have been by more.

“We just didn’t take our chances, we should have been three up at half-time.”

Braine was not impressed by how often his attackers were ruled offside.

“I could not believe how many times we were offside and that did not help us, the lads need to hold their runs, it was frustrating for me,” he said.

The manager was delighted however that striker Brunt netted for the first time this season.

He added: “He has been playing excellently for us, it has just been the finishing, hopefully that will be his first goal of many.”

The win over Buckingham followed a 1-1 draw away at Kentish Town last Wednesday night.

Nymm had put the visitors ahead in the 16th minute, but Kentish hit back 12 minutes later when Jose Da Cruz got on the scoresheet to equalise.

The only thing that stopped WGC going on to win the game was the form of the home side’s keeper, who made a series of good saves.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times