Impressive performance against Hayes & Yeading increases season's optimism for Welwyn Garden City

PUBLISHED: 17:09 14 July 2017 | UPDATED: 17:09 14 July 2017

George Ironton in his Arlesey Town days. Picture: HARRY HUBBARD

George Ironton in his Arlesey Town days. Picture: HARRY HUBBARD


While I said results are not that important at this time of the season after Welwyn Garden City's 4-1 loss on Saturday to Wingate & Finchley, this 2-0 win over Hayes & Yeading will do nothing but increase the optimism of a strong campaign.

It was a highly impressive performance against a side playing in the division the Citizens hope to be promoted into this season.

They bossed the game from the start, tearing into their host from the first whistle.

Adam Fisher started with six newcomers and Luke Daley in goal, a trialist who had played in Hayes & Yeading’s academy side.

And he had little to do as WGC pressed.

Charlie Joy forced the home keeper into a sprawling save after George Ironton had set up the chance and then skipper Danny Payne made a fine interception, but pulled a clear shooting opportunity wide of the post.

Still WGC pressed and from a right-wing corner, Josh Bronti flashed a header against the home woodwork.

Ironton made one fine run past four Hayes players, before Payne suffered a nasty head cut from a high boot.

He had to be replaced and took no further part; his injury requiring a hospital visit and some stitching.

Hayes & Yeading only showed some attacking intent in the closing stages of the half and new defender Dave Corran made two vital interceptions to prevent WGC undeservedly falling behind.

Ten minutes from the break, they took a deserved lead.

Impressive trialist forward Brandon Carney struck an effort from a right-wing corner that was blocked in front of goal, and Ironton was on hand to slam in the rebound for the interval advantage.

WGC continued to press after the break as the teeming rain continued unabated, soaking the players and the loyal handful of WGC supporters who had made the journey on a dismal night.

They were rewarded with a WGC second after 65 minutes, when Jay Rolfe, introduced in the second-half to good effect, struck a shot that the home keeper couldn’t hold and Sean Brettell forced home the visitors’ second goal.

The Citizens’ defence had few scares at the other end thanks to some solid defence, although keeper Jack Metcalfe had to make one sharp save from a close-in header 10 minutes from time to preserve a deserved clean sheet.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times