Herts Senior Cup final disappointment for Potters Bar Town

PUBLISHED: 21:53 09 April 2013 | UPDATED: 16:35 10 April 2013

Potters Bar team dejection at the final whistle

Potters Bar team dejection at the final whistle


POTTERS Bar Town were beaten 2-0 by Hemel Hempstead Town in the Herts Senior Challenge Cup final at the County Ground this evening (Thursday).

Second half goals for The Tudors’ from Dave Pearce and Danny May, within five minutes of each other, were enough for them to seal the victory and lift the Cup for the first time in their history.

The first half had seen Hemel start much brighter, but the closest they came to opening the scoring was when Anthony Maissiat headed against the crossbar following a May corner on eight minutes.

Bar keeper Ed Thompson made a smart stop to deny Charlie Mpi to keep his side in the game 21 minutes.

The Scholars then enjoyed a sustained period of pressure which began with Danny Ailey turning his defender and firing over from the just inside the box.

Soon after it looked like the number nine was to net only for his attempt to be well-turned round the post by Hemel stopper Sam Beagle.

Next to have a pop at the Hemel goal was midfielder Aryan Tajbakhsh who saw his run and shot go wide of the target.

James Gershfield also went close with a lob just drifting wide.

Just before the break Hemel’s Pearce had a fierce drive beaten away by Thompson as the half ended goalless.

The game was decided in five second half minutes.

The clock ticked just past the hour-mark when Pearce pounced on Thompson’s parry from a Mpi shot to fire in the opener.

Without a chance to level Bar soon let in a second,.

Hemel won a free-kick four minutes later and it was smashed low under the jumping wall by May into the net.

That killed the match with Hemel happy to invite pressure from Bar.

The closest Bar came to pulling one back was when substitute Jose Espinosa had a fine volley turned onto the post by Beagle.

Cole Penny drew another fine stop from keeper Beagle with a thumping effort destined for the top corner until the Hemel keeper palmed it over.

Bar gave it a good go against a side a division above them, but it was not to be on the night.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times