Herts County League team book FA Inter-League Cup semi-final place

PUBLISHED: 16:22 18 February 2014 | UPDATED: 16:22 18 February 2014

The HertSavers Senior County League team

The HertSavers Senior County League team


The HertSavers League representative side progressed to the semi-finals of the FA Inter-League Cup for the first time with a convincing 3-0 victory over the Worthing and District League.

The pitch at Bushey Sports Club beat the wet weather and was in fine condition for the tie played in blustery conditions.

Herts, largely containing players from Bushey SC and Belstone, stroked the ball around confidently and never looked in danger of losing their grip on the game from the off.

Lee Inch was a constant thorn in the side of the visitors, using the wind that was at the backs of the hosts to fire in a series of efforts that tested the keeper.

Jamie Arthur provided the muscle as the HSCL dominated both possession and territorial advantage, hitting the far post with one effort.

Gavin Chatterpaul opened the scoring on 16 minutes following a corner.

The advantage was doubled midway through the half when Arthur claimed a deserved goal, and the lead could have been increased from a number of decent chances before the break.

The question was whether Worthing could exploit the conditions from the restart, and they quickly set about applying some pressure on Sam Styles’ goal.

The HertSavers League shot-stopper made a couple of saves in the opening 10 minutes, but the home side were soon back on the front foot.

Neat passing released Darren Turner, who retained possession on the deadball line before slipping a pass back to Inch, but his first-time shot flew over the bar.

Worthing keeper Dan Rapps made a series of excellent saves as Herts worked the flanks well to thwart Ingham and Turner.

Herts substitute Tyler got the decisive third goal for Herts when he picked the ball off the toes of a Worthing defender, charged into the area and slipped a neat finish in at the near post.

Victory secures a home semi-final spot against the Dorset Premier League, which will be played at Colney Heath FC on Saturday, March 22, kick-off 3pm.

The final will be played at the winners of the other semi-final between the Isle of Man League and the Humber Premier League.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times