Hertfordshire progress in FA County Youth Cup

PUBLISHED: 13:09 12 November 2015 | UPDATED: 13:14 12 November 2015

Herts U18s

Herts U18s


Welwyn Garden City’s Jarvis Nutt was on target for Herts U18s as they moved into the third round of the FA County Youth Cup.

Nutt was joined in the side by fellow Citizens Marcus Bourne, Philip Ball, Luke Foster and their former team-mate Kachi Njoku, now of St Albans City.

The last time the Herts FA U18s representative team faced Wiltshire FA was in the FA County Youth Cup second round in 2011 where they lost 4-1.

Determined to right the wrong of four years ago, Herts headed to Swindon focussed on securing the right result this time around.

The focus paid off as Herts got off to the perfect start, taking the lead after only three minutes.

Lanre Lapido of Bushey’s Queens Academy took advantage of an error from the Wiltshire goalkeeper to roll the ball into the back of the net from 10 yards.

From this point the game was played at a frantic pace, with both teams playing good football to create chances at both ends.

Wiltshire had a brilliant opportunity to level the scores in the 38th minute, however Herts keeper Bourne made an excellent double save to deny the hosts an equaliser.

Just before the break Scott Batchelor, of Biggleswade FC, had a great to chance to double the visitors’ lead, however the Herts midfielder could only shoot over the bar from close range.

The second half started with a bang for Herts as they went 2-0 up within 30 seconds of the restart.

Feliz Aborlu, from Queens Academy, played a long diagonal ball to Lapido on the right wing, and the livewire forward then jinked inside the Wiltshire full back before playing the ball across goal for Nutt to covert.

The game started to swing from end-to-end with both teams testing the opposition goalkeeper. Wiltshire pressed for a lifeline, whilst Herts countered on the break.

After 75 minutes the hosts’ pressure paid off as they made the score 2-1.

Bourne did well to parry a long range drive, but could only direct the rebound into the path of an onrushing Wiltshire FA forward.

A nerve racking last 15 minutes for both sets of supporters saw chances at both ends, but Herts managed to hold on to win the game and enter the third round of The FA County Youth Cup.

The Herts FA U18s will now face Staffordshire FA away on Saturday, December 12.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times