Hatfield Town’s joint-boss refuses to panic despite another heavy defeat

PUBLISHED: 16:44 18 October 2011 | UPDATED: 16:57 18 October 2011

Ashley Dray netted his first goal for Hatfield in the 6-2 away defeat to AFC Dunstable

Ashley Dray netted his first goal for Hatfield in the 6-2 away defeat to AFC Dunstable


HATFIELD Town’s joint manager Darryn Stewart has refused to press the panic button despite seeing his side concede six goals in a heavy defeat for the second straight league game.

Saturday the Blueboys were hammered 6-2 away to AFC Dunstable, this had followed a 6-0 loss the previous Tuesday at home to Royston Town.

That means Hatfield have conceded 15 goals in their last three South Midlands Premier Division games, yet Stewart is confident the tide will turn.

“We are all staying positive, we have to really, but of course it’s not going great for us at the moment,” he said.

“We are in a bit of a rut, but it isn’t panic stations at the moment.

“It’s best to try and keep positive - we can all shout and holler but that is never going to help confidence, so we have all got to keep going and believe we can turn the corner.

“We have played some top teams of late, and we knew it was going to be hard; but the squad will get stronger and we can turn it around.”

Dunstable got off to a wonderful start, as a corner was bravely headed home by Danny Ryan after only 60 seconds.

The home side continued to bombard the Hatfield defence and soon it was 2-0 with a sublime chip by BJ Christie on six minutes.

Still pushing forward a great run by Christie saw him cross for Hayden Wills to tap home at the far post, with only 15 minutes on the clock.

On 29 minutes Hatfield were given a lifeline.

Ryan mistimed his tackle and not only conceded the penalty, but was shown a red card. Trevor Golder put away the spot kick and Hatfield were back in with a shout.

Facing the second half with 10 men, Hatfield felt they had a chance and opened up much more positively. For the next 15 minutes they were on top.

But after Lee Newman had hit the post for the visitors, cruelly, a piece of priceless skill from Christie made it 4-1.

On 70 minutes Kyle Lincoln went on a mazy run, he crossed for Christie to complete his hat-trick.

Nine minutes later Richard Harker was brought down in the box and fellow substitute Ryan Quinn put away the resulting penalty.

Hatfield scored their second goal when a misplaced pass by Terry Billy put Ashley Dray through. He finished well to make it 6-2.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times