Hatfield Town hit for four by Biggleswade United

PUBLISHED: 10:15 04 September 2013 | UPDATED: 10:16 04 September 2013

Hatfield Town FC

Hatfield Town FC


NOT for the first time this season, a second half collapse saw Hatfield Town on the wrong end of a 4-1 scoreline at home to Biggleswade United last night (Tuesday).

For 45 minutes of the South Midlands Premier Division encounter, there was very little between the teams, but sadly after the break that all changed.

Jamie Peters had given the visitors the lead after 11 minutes when he got his head on the end of a Sam Nair free-kick.

But 10 minutes later Hatfield were level.

Junior Adeoye, who was having a good game down the right-hand flank, swung a ball in that was only cleared as far as Aaron Ewing on the edge of the box.

Taking the opportunity on the volley, Ewing crashed the ball home, with Biggleswade keeper Adam Harpur well beaten.

The first half saw few clear-cut chances created, with the away team coming closest with Nair seeing an effort deflected wide, and Peters crashing an effort which shaved the post.

A real turning point came four minutes into the second period, and Hatfield should have really gone ahead.

Adam Murad made a determined burst forward, and beating a couple of Biggleswade men, the ball was played through to Dean Barker.

Biggleswade centre half Lee Bilcock got his angles all wrong, Barker turned him easily and burst into the area.

One-on-one with Harpur, the United custodian made a point-blank save, but with the ball falling back to his feet, Barker stabbed an effort towards goal.

However it lacked any pace, and Adam Randall got back in the nick of time to hook the ball off the line.

As so often happens, Hatfield were left to rue this missed opportunity eight minutes later.

A free-kick found Peters in the box surrounded by Hatfield players.

Somehow he kept control of the ball, bundled his way past a few challenges and struck the ball past Emmanuel Olajide into the goal.

Hatfield heads went down, with Nathan introducing three substitutes into the fray to spark his side back to life.

Bradley Stylianou replaced Murad, Dan Bradford came on for Barker, and Jordan Moore replaced Billy Cobb.

But despite Bradford looking lively, Biggleswade scored that killer third goal.

Dan Pett got into some trouble in the full-back position for Hatfield Town, and Jude Eboji took full advantage nicking the ball.

His first effort at goal was well saved by Olajide, but the rebound fell straight back to him, and he made no mistake second time round.

And gloss was added to the scoreline in the 90th minute when Hatfield were caught out on the break, Randall made for the byline, swung a cross into the box and substitute Sean Murray was on hand, totally unmarked, to nudge a simple header home.

If Hatfield were to play as they did in the first 45 minutes for the remainder of the season, then they would be okay.

The worry for boss Micky Nathan will be the second half display, and generally how they finish games.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times