Hatfield hold on to a point against Tring Athletic

PUBLISHED: 17:03 15 October 2013 | UPDATED: 17:03 15 October 2013

Alex Lodge runs down the line. Picture by Danny Loo

Alex Lodge runs down the line. Picture by Danny Loo


Hatfield Town scored two goals in a minute as they played out a hard fought 2-2 draw with Tring Athletic at The Gosling Stadium on Saturday.

For much of the game the visitors were on the front-foot, they took the lead on 10 minutes as skipper Graham Hall fired home a free-kick that was given away by Town player-boss Micky Nathan.

Athletic looked to go on and add to their tally, however they were left shell-shocked as Hatfield found the net twice in quick succession.

Firstly, Town’s midfielder Grady Zitu won a free-kick on the right flank which Aaron Ewing drove into the box and Joe Welch tucked home past keeper Mike Underwood.

Reeling from that, Athletic immediately failed to cut out a ball forward which Adam Murad raced on to and lobbed expertly over Underwood into the net, although the ball found a gap in the back of the net and travelled towards the athletics track.

Hall lined up another free-kick as he looked to pull his side level, this time though his effort was straight to home keeper Emmanuel Olajide.

Ewing had a half-chance to add to the home tally when he capitalised on a defensive mix-up, but scuffed his shot to Underwood and captain Tom Massey had a shot from distance saved.

Before the break Tring went close twice as Hall’s free-kick found Chris Salmon who saw his attempt hit the base of the post and then Ryan Sturgess smashed over Olajide’s bar when well placed.

Tring came out looking for their deserved equaliser in the second half.

Lee Benning had a shot saved by Olajide and Hall volleyed wide before they did eventually net a second.

The influential Hall saw his free-kick into the box not properly cleared, he managed to get himself into the area, got the ball back and fired in off the post on 74 minutes.

There were a couple chances for a winner for both sides as Town substitute Dan O’Connor, back after a spell out injured, pulled an effort wide, while at the other end Vinnie Iannone crashed a shot against the bar as the points were shared.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times