Great Northern hold their nerve to progress to Senior Cup last four

PUBLISHED: 12:09 20 January 2017 | UPDATED: 12:09 20 January 2017

Jason Beck wheels away in celebration after netting for the Great Northern. Picture: Andy Todd

Jason Beck wheels away in celebration after netting for the Great Northern. Picture: Andy Todd


The Great Northern moved into the Herts Sunday Senior Cup semi-finals after a 4-1 win, after extra time, over Emperor’s Head.

Charlie Lloyd (two), Jason Beck and Andy Simmons secured passage for the former Herts FA County Sunday Cup winners who will now face AFC Boars in the last four.

Carl Fletcher had put Emperor’s ahead early in the second half.

For the opening 15 minutes both sides tested and probed their opposition, creating several chances, but none found the back of the net.

Twenty minutes in and John McGrandles went close with a header inches over the bar and then less than 10 minutes later Bruce Tahon went close with a low effort but, this time, just wide.

The second half began slowly but within 10 minutes of the restart Emperor’s Head took the lead.

Northern failed to clear their lines and a goalmouth scramble ensued with Carl Fletcher firing in a close-range shot that found the net.

For a while, it looked like it wasn’t to be Northern’s day as chance after chance was dealt with by keeper Luke Turner.

Beck let fly only to see the shot whistle a foot over the bar.

Just when it looked like all was lost, substitute Lloyd snatched a late close-range equaliser to take the game to extra time.

Great Northern were now fired up and Beck finally got his reward with a bullet that almost broke the bar before bouncing in.

Less than five minutes later, Beck tried again, this time low towards the foot of the post, but the pitch, now badly cutting up, saw the half-saved shot stick in the mud.

Simmons was first to react, and despite Daryl Thorpe blocking the shot, Great Northern opened up a two-goal margin.

Emperor’s Head fought on but Great Northern wrapped it up with a fourth.

They pinned Emperor’s Head into their own half and following multiple passes, Lloyd hit a cheeky shot, outside of his right boot straight into the net.

Drama followed when an advantage was played that failed to develop and the referee brought play back for a penalty after Fletcher was fouled.

Ryan Chilcott stepped up but Lacey gambled low to his left and saved it.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times