Goalless Easter for Potters Bar Town

PUBLISHED: 16:14 03 April 2013 | UPDATED: 16:14 03 April 2013

Kane Pope in action for Potters Bar

Kane Pope in action for Potters Bar


POTTERS Bar Town collected just one point from six over the Easter weekend.

On Easter Monday they fell to a 1-0 defeat away at Cheshunt with Corey Whitely netting and on Saturday played out a goalless draw with Harlow Town.

The hosts were without their dangerous front three of James Gershfield, Daniel Ailey and Jose Espinosa against Harlow so lacked firepower from the first whistle.

A slow start to the Ryman League encounter was an example of things to come as both sides huffed and puffed, but failed to break the deadlock.

Kane Pope’s header goalwards for The Scholars on 14 minutes from Eddie Munnelly’s pass was the first half chance of the match, with Aryan Tajbachsh firing well over for the home side soon after.

Harlow thought they had gone close as ex-Bar man Gaz Dauti’s diving header was saved by keeper Ed Thompson, but play was brought back with the linesman’s flag raised for offside.

The Hawks enjoyed the majority of possession in the middle of the half and the influential Christian Wheeler smashed over from distance.

Gary Wharton and Lee Close had efforts blocked by a resolute Harlow backline as the first 45 minutes came to an end.

Just three minutes into the second half a terrific dipping blockbuster from Harlow’s Joakim Ehui cannoned back off Thompson’s crossbar in what was to be the closest the game came to having a goal.

Bar responded with Wharton, Tajbachsh and Josh Hutchinson hitting attempts off target, while Close brought a save out of visiting keeper Daniel Knowles.

A bright spark was the display of Bar substitute Liam Magwood who was lively on the left flank during his half-an-hour on the pitch.

In the last minute Dauti had a shot blocked, Bar broke away and newly introduced U18 striker Peter Rosemin forced Knowles to pull off a stop to ensure the game ended goalless.

Last Wednesday Potters Bar were knocked out of the Herts Charity Cup semi-final on penalties by St Albans City.

The score after normal and then extra time had been 1-1 with Matt Taylor putting City ahead before Josh Hutchinson levelled.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times