Five for Garrett as Codicote smash Chesham United Reserves

PUBLISHED: 16:51 13 August 2013 | UPDATED: 16:58 13 August 2013

Paul Garrett celebrates scoring his hattrick goal

Paul Garrett celebrates scoring his hattrick goal


CODICOTE fired eight goals in their SSML Division One opener against Chesham United Reserves.

Summer signing from Stotfold striker Paul Garrett helped himself to five as Codicote ran out as 8-3 winners at The Gosling Stadium.

Codicote produced an amazing second half performance and showed just what fire power they have at their disposal.

Chesham travelled to Codicote with a youthful side and had the worst possible start as Codicote took the lead after just two minutes.

Garrett on his league debut rifled an unstoppable shot past the Chesham keeper.

Codicote had all of the opening encounter and doubled their lead on 17 minutes when Garrett again smashed another shot low into the corner from the edge of the box.

Codicote then became too complacent and as their workrate decreased Chesham began to sense a way back into the game.

Chesham’s defence were having far too much time on the ball and as they began to pick passes in behind the Codicote backline the two Chesham forwards began to cause new centre half pairing Junega and Bryant a few problems.

After half-an-hour Chesham struck twice in quick succession to level.

Player-manager Liam Errington rallied his players at half-time and Codicote changed their shape in the second period.

They started the half with a increased impetus and from the kick-off Chesham couldn’t contain the free-flowing football from the Cod.

Codicote put the pressure on Chesham and as they peppered the Chesham goal.

From a corner in the 57th minute Errington drove the ball in for Garrett to head in and score a superb individual hat-trick and give the lead back to the villagers.

Errington then changed the dynamism of the Codicote forward line bringing on the fresh legs of Adam Furness and Craig Arnott for Leon Gutzmore and Kane Dougherty.

These changes only increased the pressure Codicote were putting on Chesham and Garrett scored again to make it Garrett 4 Chesham 2.

Craig Arnott then got on the scoresheet rifling a shot into the top corner leaving the Chesham keeper no chance with one of his first touches of the game.

Strike partner Adam Furness turned and slotted to make it six.

Chesham were now a shadow of the side who finished the first half as midfielders Mark Ducket, Alec Thomas, Errington and substitute Tom Randall had a stranglehold on the game and began some intricate moves giving one of Codicote’s biggest home crowds a joy to watch.

As the game drew to an end Garrett wasn’t finished. Furness turned his marker back to front as his pinpoint cross to the back post allowed Garrett to get his fifth as he nodded in.

As Chesham were hoping for the final whistle Furness wasn’t to be denied another. Errington covered well at the back and as he exchanged passes with keeper Barnes, Errington’s long diagonal ball eluded the Chesham defence and Furness calmly slotted to make it eight.

As the game drew to a close Errington then turned villain as he failed to clear a near post cross which Chesham pounced on to make the final score 8-3.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times