First ‘home’ win of the season for Welwyn Garden City

PUBLISHED: 13:17 05 September 2016 | UPDATED: 13:17 05 September 2016

WGC celebrate

WGC celebrate


Welwyn Garden City played their first home game of the season on Saturday as they beat Hoddesdon Town 2-1 10 miles away from Herns Lane at Ware FC.

With re-building works at the Citizens’ home over-running, the club hired Ryman League Ware’s ground to fulfil their first home fixture. WGC hope to be back at Herns Lane on Saturday to host Edgware Town.

The match at Ware produced an outstanding second-half performance from WGC.

But despite being delighted with his side’s recovery in this game, manager Adam Fisher will be concerned with the team’s display in the first 45 minutes, as has been the case in three of the six games they have played this season.

Just as at Bedford FC, in the FA Cup and at Leighton Town a fortnight before, WGC played poorly in the first-half when Hoddesdon were the more dangerous side.

And, as in those previous encounters, it took a rousing half-time team talk from Fisher and his staff to spark the Citizens into action.

WGC trailed at the interval 1-0 and it could have been more.

They offered little threat, other than three long-range efforts - two from Joe Foley and the other from Danny Fitzgerald.

In contrast, the East Herts side took the lead when WGC full-back Jay Welsh should have done better contesting a ball with Hoddesdon winger Brett O’Connor.

O’Connor won the tussle, sped away from the full-back and played Connor Scully in to nudge his shot wide of Jack Metcalfe for the opening goal in 13 minutes.

A minute later, the same pair were involved in a let-off for WGC.

Scully ran through but appeared to be knocked off by Metcalfe, as the keeper came out. But huge appeals for a penalty from Hoddesdon were turned away by referee Mr Connell.

But after half-time it was a different story. WGC began the second-half on the attack and five minutes after the resumption were level.

The goal owed much to a barnstorming run by Lewis Endacott at the Hoddesdon defence.

When he was finally stopped, he found Josh Bronti, whose cross was pawed onto the woodwork by teenage keeper Harry Smart and Ewington lashed in the rebound.

On 55 minutes, WGC were ahead as Bronti cashed in on a slack back-pass by full-back Tom Cowell.

The WGC winger raced through, held off Fraser’s challenge, and crashed home his first goal from open play this season for a 2-1 lead.

WGC stayed on the offensive and Smart just about turned behind a Foley effort, while Ashley Kersey turned well on a throw-in minutes after coming on to fire inches over.

With their midfield of skipper Danny Payne, Fitzgerald and Foley, running the show, it was all WGC pressure and six minutes from the end they had a golden chance to seal the points.

Good approach work by Foley and Bronti sent Luke Robins clear, but his shot hit Smart’s legs.

Two minutes later, Robins went close again heading against the bar.

WGC finished very much on top, with the lack-lustre opening 45 minutes a distant memory by then.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times