First-half collapse sees Codicote exit FA Vase in first qualifying round

PUBLISHED: 17:23 14 September 2016 | UPDATED: 17:23 14 September 2016

James Taylor clears

James Taylor clears


Three first-half goals saw Codicote exit the FA Vase at the first qualifying round stage in a game played at Stotfold’s Roker Park on Sunday.

A depleted Cod side were hoping to get into the game early but the SSML Premier Division side started with a flourish and put their hosts under pressure.

With a lack of cohesion, the villagers soon found themselves 1-0 down.

A free-kick from 45 yards looked as though it wouldn’t trouble Andrew McEwan, but somehow the keeper misjudged the ball and could only scoop the dipping shot into his own net.

Within minutes St Margaretsbury were two up as a mix-up in the defence saw the advancing McEwan stranded out of his goal and a delightful chip from 25 yards settled neatly into the net.

The home side still had enough about them to get back into the game.

Reggie Ross and Marc Arnott looked to threaten the visitors’ goal but they couldn’t find a way through.

Soon after Arnott was replaced due to a thigh strain.

The away side’s third came on the stroke of half-time.

A ball inside Craig Cawcutt looked as though the wide man was offside and when his delivery saw Sam Rayner bundled over the line by the visitors’ striker Codicote were incensed that at least one decision should have gone their way.

The second half saw a much more together Codicote.

Skipper James Taylor manfully carried his team even though clearly injured and it was the St Margaretsbury keeper who was the busier; two great strikes from Charlie Thake produced excellent saves and had Callum Mason finished, with only the keeper to beat, the end score would have been different.

Both Taylor and Ross soon departed with injuries replaced by Harry Budge and Billy Cook pushing Abel Mudimu wide and from this position the ex-Hertford man started to show what manager Steve Young was looking for.

Two or three times Mudimu’s distribution put Codicote on the front foot but a lack of cutting edge saw them end the match with a blank.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times