FA Vase dream still very much alive for Welwyn Garden City after fiery win

PUBLISHED: 17:48 11 November 2017 | UPDATED: 17:49 11 November 2017

Yasin Boodhoo put Welwyn Garden City on their way to victory in the FA Vase. Picture: KEVIN LINES

Yasin Boodhoo put Welwyn Garden City on their way to victory in the FA Vase. Picture: KEVIN LINES


Welwyn Garden City are through to the third round of the Buildbase FA Vase after a fiery 2-1 win over Newport Pagnell Town at Herns Lane.

It was a stop-start affair but Welwyn finished the game deserved winners, with quality goals from Yasin Boodhoo and Dan Bond.

In an explosive start to the game, Welwyn looked the better side, making the best of the early exchanges.

Two minutes in, the home team missed a huge chance. Josh Bronti broke free down the right and squared into the middle for what should have been a simple tap in.

But after two scuffed shots the result was only a goal kick.

Finally breaking out of their own half, Newport produced their first big chance on 20 minutes, when Greg Ling forced a fine low save from the Citizens keeper Charlie May, diving to his left.

Newport Pagnell came into the game halfway through the first 45 and the chances were less frequent for both sides, but WGC still looked most likely to score.

In added time at the end of the half, Welwyn took the lead. Josh Bronti whipped in a perfect corner and Yasin Boodhoo produced a rocket header into the top left for 1-0.

It was a deserved lead that Welwyn took into the break as they had looked the more determined side throughout the first 45.

Newport looked to respond after the break and had the ball in the back of the net on 49 minutes, but it was ruled offside.

Referee Martyn Cannon’s whistle was in constant use as challenges went flying in as the intensity dropped due to the stoppages.

Welwyn were mainly playing on the break as Newport Pagnell forced the pressure, but the Citizens defence battled well going into the last 20 minutes.

Then came a pivotal moment in the game, as Swans defender, Adam Pryke was given a straight red for an bad challenge in the 72nd minute.

Welwyn made the extra man count after 79 minutes when Dan Bond ran through, turning the Swans defence inside out, moving onto his right and curling the ball past Mark Osbourne for a fine finish and 2-0.

However, with just three minutes of normal time left, Newport Pagnell got one back when Harry Stratton got on the end of an early cross into the box, tapping in past May from inside the 6 yard box.

The goal proved to be only a consolation for the Buckinghamshire side, as WGC saw the game out for a 2-1 win.

They progress to the third round of the competition where they will look to surpass manager Adam Fisher’s best finish in the Vase while at Welwyn.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times