FA Trophy exit for brave Potters Bar Town as Hereford triumph in late kick-off

PUBLISHED: 22:19 14 November 2017 | UPDATED: 22:19 14 November 2017

George Nicholas had a good chance in the second half for Potters Bar. Picture: KARYN HADDON

George Nicholas had a good chance in the second half for Potters Bar. Picture: KARYN HADDON


A late Rokas Janilionis goal proved too little, too late as Potters Bar Town went out of the FA Trophy with a 2-1 defeat to Hereford.

After a disciplined performance on Saturday at Edgar Street, the Scholars felt they could spring a surprise against the former Football League side.

But in front of 230, the highest crowd seen at the Pakex this season, and despite a good go, a goal from Lance Smith and an own goal from Chris Doyle sent the Bulls to Oxford City in the next round.

The day had not started well for Hereford.

Their team bus got as far as Droitwich before having a mechanical tantrum and refusing to move for 40 minutes.

It meant the Southern Premier League side didn’t arrive until almost 7.30 and forcing a rushed warm-up as they game kicked off 35 minutes late.

But as is so often the case in these situations, the hastiness meant their intensity was up as the game kicked off and they started the better.

However, it was their first real chance which opened the scoring on 13 minutes.

A long ball from the right wing to left dropped perfectly for John Mills, who took it on and around Berkley Laurencin.

His shot was half blocked but Lance Smith bundled it in.

It was the early breakthrough they would have wanted after being frustrated by Potters Bar on Saturday.

But then, again, as is so often the case, that intensity dropped shortly after and the Scholars came back into it.

Michael Murray had fired over just before the Hereford goal and his low free-kick forced Martin Horsell to push it round the post.

From the corner Eoin Casey was denied after a well-timed run and header.

And from the corner that produced, Chris Doyle put the ball in the net, only to see the referee rule it out for a foul in the build-up.

Chances were still at a minimum at either end but it was clear that Potters Bar were still very much in it as the half ended.

And they knew it. If intensity had been the watchword of Hereford’s start to the game, it was the Scholars’ in the second period.

The longer the game went on, the more Bar believed they could get a result.

George Nicholas jinked his way into the box but shot over with Casey in the middle and the ball spent more time in the Hereford goal.

But then a goal out of nothing with 20 minutes to go, poked agonisingly past Laurencin by Chris Doyle killed the hopes.

That was until Janilionis long-range effort flew low into the corner and raised the expectations once more.

But it wasn’t to be and with the clock well past 10pm, Hereford went through.

Potters Bar: Laurencin, Baird, Lomas, O’Leary, Doyle, Boxer, Ogunsola (Janilionis 46), Adcock, Murray, Nicholas, Casey

Subs (not used): Sota, Benavides-Martinez, Marsh, Vas

Goals: Janilionis 85

Hereford: Horsell, O’Shea, Page, Reffell, Green, Dearman, Preen, Bird, Mills, Haysham (Franklin 73), Smith (Symons 57)

Subs (not used): Hayes, Harris

Goals: Smith 13, Doyle (og) 70

Booked: Mills 16, Green 20

HT: Potters Bar Town 0 Hereford 1

Attendance: 230

Referee: Sukhvir Gill

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times