Edgware have the edge on Codicote in 1-0 win

PUBLISHED: 17:13 10 December 2014 | UPDATED: 17:13 10 December 2014

Sam Stephenson knocks the ball forward

Sam Stephenson knocks the ball forward


Codicote found life tough on a 3G pitch as they were defeated 1-0 at Edgware Town last Saturday.

The visitors were on an unbeaten run spanning four matches in all competitions but they were to be undone by a second-half counter-attack.

Sam Stephenson’s red card added to the Cod’s misery late on.

Edgware used the slope to their advantage in the early-going but could not make much of their command.

Instead, it was the visitors that forged the first real chance.

Stephenson embarked on a solo run, only to be snuffed out by the covering defenders.

On 20 minutes, Edgware bit back when a late challenge from Andy Carter saw the official point to the spot.

Up stepped the Edgware man but Billy Barnes bounded at full stretch to turn the ball wide of goal.

Both keepers were being called upon as, first, Barnes neatly saved a close-range effort and then this stop was outdone by his counterpart moments later as Stephenson’s thunderbolt required a tremendous leap to keep the game goalless.

With the slope now in their favour in the second half, Codicote might have thought they could snaffle the win that would bring them closer to the league leaders but it was the hosts that were to grab the only goal.

Cod defender Charlie Marshall slipped allowing the Edgware winger to cut inside and when Barnes could only push the shot sideways, Stuart Blackburne was on hand to poke the ball home.

Codicote had to step up their game with John Chitondo and Ray Ancliff coming on to give the visitors more threat.

Things started to look good for the visitors, but they had to be on their toes as the home side looked to hit with pace on the counter.

But not for the first time, Codicote were to cause problems for themselves when Stephenson petulantly kicked the ball away to get his second yellow.

Stephenson’s dismissal did not halt their pressure in the remaining 15 minutes but they could not find a way through the home side.

Twice hitting the woodwork, Cod knocked on the door but there was not to be an equaliser as Edgware just made it over the line to collect all three points and deflate the resurgent away side.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times