Early goal sends record breakers Welwyn Garden City through in Herts Senior Cup

PUBLISHED: 11:25 02 November 2017 | UPDATED: 11:25 02 November 2017

Reggie Ross got the only goal as WGC beat Leverstock Green. Picture: DANNY LOO

Reggie Ross got the only goal as WGC beat Leverstock Green. Picture: DANNY LOO

Danny Loo Photography 2016

A solitary goal from Reggie Ross sent Welwyn Garden City into the second round of the Herts Senior Cup and officialy set a new club record in the process.

The U25 regular struck after just two minutes as WGC beat Leverstock Green 1-0.

It was the second win over the Hemel Hempstead outfit in the space of four days, and their third so far this season, and it also meant the Citizens have now gone 20 games without defeat in all competitions.

The victory earns them a trip to Bostik League Division One North Ware in early December.

Manager Adam Fisher had rang the changes for this one.

He left out five of the mainstays of his league side that have taken WGC to second in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division table.

Goalkeeper Charlie May, defenders John McGrandles and Dave Corran, midfielder Ben Spaul and leading scorer Jon Clements all sat this one out and Yasin Boodhoo and Charlie Joy were only on the bench.

Along with Ross, keeper Ben Watson and defender Harry Budge were drafted from the U25s and there were three more among the substitutes in the shape of Jack Francis, Nathan Studholme and Odedayo Dixon.

Marcus Campbell and Jay Welsh also had their first outings of the season.

The goal, which came from the first real attack, saw Ross power a header in at the far post from a Josh Bronti cross.

In a slow start, Leverstock Green tried to respond.

Acting skipper Paul Marks got in a fine block on Green’s Curtis Donaldson as he attempted a shot on the turn and winger Ross Adams drove over the bar when a clearing header came out to him.

Then just past the half-hour Watson pulled off the save of the night, turning Rey Carbon’s placed effort for the top corner over in flying style.

The visitors had the best of the chances and came within a whisker of an equaliser just after the interval, when defender Liam McCrohan came forward to meet Carbon’s deep cross to head over Watson but against the crossbar.

WGC came close to a second seven minutes from time.

Saturday’s hero Jay Rolfe came forward to deliver a fine ball that put substitute Joy in on goal.

He lobbed keeper Caolan Doyle-Creamer but with the ball bouncing tantilisingly towards goal, visiting skipper Shane Woods got back to clear off the line.

It was to prove the last real effort of a forgettable game, as WGC progressed in their fifth cup competition of the season so far.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times