Doyle’s stunner secures Potters Bar three points

PUBLISHED: 11:10 25 October 2012

Potters Bar Town's Chris Doyle

Potters Bar Town's Chris Doyle


A STUNNING late goal from Chris Doyle saw The Scholars come from behind to beat Chatham Town 2-1 on Saturday.

Chatham player-manager Kevin Watson scored for the home side on 21 minutes only to see the lead cancelled out by a 35th minute own goal from defender Liam Hickey.

Doyle stuck with just seven minutes remaining to give the visitors the points.

The early exchanges were fairly even with Sergio Manesio causing problems for the home side whilst Lee Hales had two efforts blocked by Potters Bar defenders.

With 21 minutes gone a shot from Hales was parried by Bar keeper Ed Thompson but Watson followed up to score from the rebound with a close range header.

Two minutes later Watson almost doubled the lead as he headed over a cross from full back Brad Potter.

Potters Bar pushed for an equaliser going close with a Josh Urquhart free-kick and Manesio crossing for Daniel Ailey whose effort was well blocked by the home defence.

A Doyle pass found Cole Penny in the penalty area who somehow wriggled free to cross for Ailey again only to see him head over the bar.

The equaliser came on 35 minutes as a teasing free-kick from Urquhart caused problems amongst the Chatham defenders with the unlucky Hickey turning the ball into his own net.

Ailey looked to have given The Scholars the lead right on the stroke of half-time but he was ruled to have fouled a defender as his header found the back of the net.

The second half continued with chances at both ends.

A Potters Bar defensive error saw the ball played to Hales but his shot flew over the top.

Ashley Harrison-Barker crossed for Ailey, but his effort was headed off the line by Brad Potter.

Another Urquhart free-kick was deflected wide off the wall.

The resulting corner saw Billy Witham head over.

With 20 minutes of the second half gone a Sergio Manesio cross looked to have been handled in the penalty area but despite the appeals of the Bar players and supporters the referee waved play on.

Moments later good interplay between Doyle and substitute Liam Coles again set up Manesio but his shot was blocked by a defender.

Chatham responded as a Harry Smith header found Rod Ndiane free but he failed to get his shot on target.

The Scholars finally took the lead with seven minutes remaining.

Good work from Eddie Munnelly and Penny set up an opportunity for Doyle who finished with a sweetly struck shot from 25 yards out.

Chatham pressed for an equaliser which almost came in the last minute as a Potters Bar defensive clearance from a corner came off substitute Jack Jeffrey and luckily hit the bar with the Scholars defence looking on.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times