Dougherty the hero with last-gasp winner for Codicote

PUBLISHED: 11:50 25 October 2013 | UPDATED: 11:51 25 October 2013

Kane Dougherty in action

Kane Dougherty in action


Kane Dougherty netted a last-minute extra-time winner against his former club as Codicote defeated Baldock Town 3-1 in the first round of SSML Challenge Trophy.

Even with a number of changes the visitors made the better start. Once again they maintained the pattern of play that proved so impressive against Broxbourne and within seven minutes’ they were 1 – 0 up.

Some neat build-up play found Joel Mason with only one player to beat. The experienced striker dropped his shoulder and drove the ball left footed past the keeper to give his side a deserved 1-0 lead.

It wasn’t until the 45th minute that both sides created the clearest of chances.

First Codicote’s one touch football opened up the home side’s defence and just when it looked like they would extend their lead, a well placed interception allowed Baldock to break free.

Skipper Tawhid Juneja picked up the ball and pushed the ball back to keeper Jordan Gibson only to find the Baldock’s Aulsberry who swept the ball past the Codicote custodian to draw the game level at half-time.

The second half, was end to end stuff with both Mason and Leeroy Williams causing problems for the home side while Baldock’s pace was always a danger.

With an hour gone Codicote did get the ball into the net but Williams’ effort was ruled out for off side. But with Mark Duckett seeing more of the ball the Villagers were starting to press the home side.

Both sides were working hard to get a upper hand but with both forward lines drawing a blank the game went into extra-time.

And it was Baldock who took the lead. The impressive Mark Bryant, for once off the ball, was penalised for a foul in the penalty area. Baldock’s Harman stepped up and slotted the ball into the net.

But with Baldock tiring and Codicote starting to dominate the procession the opportunities were starting to be created especially when the game went into the second period of extra-time.

Jahmell Mullings and Tom Randall, both impressive, pushed forward and when manager Liam Errington replaced Juneja and Carter with Dougherty and Grant Macaree the fresh legs on an energy-sapping pitch gave Codicote the edge.

Errington’s in-swinging corner looked to have Baldock at sixes and sevens allowing Macaree to nod home at the near post. From this point on the visits pressed while Baldock looked to catch them out on the counter.

Codicote finally threw on their last sub, regular keeper Billy Barnes for a rare outfield run out.

With only minutes to go Barnes tracked the Baldock man to once again force the ball forward for Codicote to grab a last-minute corner.

Errington once again put the static Baldock keeper Sitwell under pressure enabling Dougherty to force the ball over the line with his knee for a dramatic late winner.

While Codicote were celebrating the winning goal the referee saw fit to show a red card to the Baldock captain as he protested the goal, and it was Codicote who progress into the next round.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Welwyn Hatfield Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Welwyn Hatfield Times